Let's talk Wry Neck/Crook Neck

Nemmie thanks for your thoughtful comments. That was a nice summary of the various posts on this topic.
The vitamin therapy looks like the best option; you're correct, she free ranges during the day, and she roosts at night with all the other birds (no one wants to be the baby anymore and sleep in the bedding, I had to adjust my coop for this). I will double check some of my younger birds and see if they are showing any dietary problems, although her siblings are fine.
Every day I look at her, and she moves around well, flies on and off perches, eats, drinks and is merry!
Thank you.

My white silkie Pullet seems to be getting better I trimmed around her eyes so she could see better which I noticed helped the weird angle she held her head at, and she's been getting soft cat food for extra protein (not chicken flavored), sunflower seeds and salted scambled eggs (I heard salt was good for them) now I can hardly her apart from the others
smile.png
salt is NOT good for chickens. You should avoid all foods with salt added when feeding chickens because at high levels it is TOXIC to them!

Thank you so much for the discussions. My turkey poult is recovered because of what I read here.
------------------
Dying poult neck bent, gasping for air.

What we did:

Separate turkey,

got 1.0 ml syringe ....

Gave it 0.06 ml of BoSe Selenium/Vitamin E solution orally. ( for injecting newborn ruminents. Ask for BoSe)

Orally Gave it 0.1 ml of sol'n made by taking 0.1 ml of 200mg/cc oxytetracycline and 0.9 ml of water in the syringe. (so about 2 mg of the antibiotic) gave second 2 mg in 18 hrs.

Put the balance of the syringe (18 mg ) in the 2 pint waterer water ( water changed both times)

-after first treatment we
kept it warm wrapped up in a towel in the dark all night

-also gave it raw milk from my cow free choice - it had not had access to raw milk when it got sick. I would not eat or drink anything else for about 24 hrs after we found it sick.

Hi, I have been caring for a newly born chick with wry neck for two weeks now. Her neck seems to be getting worse, even though I have been giving her Pedialyte and liquid Vitamin E oil every day. She can eat and drink (to a point) by herself and I let her get fresh air on a regular basis. She has been seperated from the rest of the chicks for a week, but socializes just fine when she is with them. She is very healthy besides the neck problem, so I don't think that putting her down is necessary. Is there anything more I can do? Or will she just have to live with it which, for now, doesn't seem to be a problem.

edited by staff

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks so much! I will definitely try the Vitamin B, but in the video, do you know which medication they are using?

Thanks so much! I will definitely try the Vitamin B, but in the video, do you know which medication they are using?

She doesn't say, but if you google "backyardchickens poly vi sol no iron" you will see what other people are using (I have not used it). Those are baby vitamins.

They do sell a poultry pack of vitamins at the feed store- if unsure you can always try those- but I'd see if it had thiamine in it to be sure. I think some people are thinking that the human grade vitamins might be better???

Last edited:
Just wanted to share my success story. I got 4 new little Australorps in the mail yesterday. They are teeny tiny, and one of them seemed like it had a rough trip. It spent a long time just drinking water, then went to sleep. Within a few hours, I could tell something was wrong. It almost seemed palsy and like it had no neck. I thought "oh no! I have a special needs chicken!" Within another hour it was stargazing and rolling backwards uncontrollably. A few minutes on google led me here, and I went straight to cvs for the drops. Administering them was easy as the chick was totally helpless and floppy. It was so sad to watch it struggle and I thought there was no way it could make it. I gave it the drops and some water at about 8pm, then held it in my hand for a long time. By 11pm it could stand back up on its own and furiously pecked at the others when they tried to investigate the special nest box. Another five minutes and she was pecking at food and walking around. By 6 the next morning her movements showed no sign of the affliction - she was hardly distinguishable from the others except that her neck is still not fully extended. I imagine within another few days that will remedy itself. I'm keeping the poly-vi-sol in their water until I run out, but I definitely think I need to look into a chicken vitamin powder for water. Thanks so much for saving my chick, BYC!

Just wanted to share my success story. I got 4 new little Australorps in the mail yesterday. They are teeny tiny, and one of them seemed like it had a rough trip. It spent a long time just drinking water, then went to sleep. Within a few hours, I could tell something was wrong. It almost seemed palsy and like it had no neck. I thought "oh no! I have a special needs chicken!" Within another hour it was stargazing and rolling backwards uncontrollably. A few minutes on google led me here, and I went straight to cvs for the drops. Administering them was easy as the chick was totally helpless and floppy. It was so sad to watch it struggle and I thought there was no way it could make it. I gave it the drops and some water at about 8pm, then held it in my hand for a long time. By 11pm it could stand back up on its own and furiously pecked at the others when they tried to investigate the special nest box. Another five minutes and she was pecking at food and walking around. By 6 the next morning her movements showed no sign of the affliction - she was hardly distinguishable from the others except that her neck is still not fully extended. I imagine within another few days that will remedy itself. I'm keeping the poly-vi-sol in their water until I run out, but I definitely think I need to look into a chicken vitamin powder for water. Thanks so much for saving my chick, BYC!
Was it really that quick? Is it too late for mine? I had a shipment of 15 from Meyer arrive Tuesday one DOA. Another was floppy and almost dead by this morning. By this afternoon, another one had wry neck. The second had to be put down it was so far gone, but this one was still fighting. I gave it dilute gatorade and some egg yolk for lack of anything else available out here in the woods. I will buy some polyvisol no iron after work tomorrow. Is there hope? She's hanging in there. I had to put her back in with the rest to stay warm.

Back
Top Bottom