Let's talk Wry Neck/Crook Neck

I have a 24 week old barred rock rooster that seems to have developed some sort of neck issue. The best way l can explain it is his neck looks sunken into the body and when I touch his neck it feels like the bones are bent or twisted, kind of like a lump in his neck.. He doesn't seem to be in pain but it feels weird and he looks funny. Does this sound like wry neck? If so any thoughts on what to do? It just started about 2 days ago and I only noticed the " lump " in his neck tonight. Other than this he seems ok. Roosting with the rest right now. Any help on this would be appreciated.

With my chicken, you really knew. Her neck went way down to the ground. She stopped being able to roost and lay eggs on the ground. Two people have great medication advice. This was my chicken's second episode. The first went away quickly. I started a daily regimen of 400iu vitamin E. I opened the capsule and dripped in on scrambled eggs. When I couldn't get that in her after some success, I laced mealworms. I did this twice a day, with 1/8 capsule selenium to absorb the E and two drops of poly-visol. Again looks at the others who are great on dimensions. I did the above probably for 10 days. Very slowly she improved. She got on the roost. She still needs help off. She is running around, but she stopped laying shortly after I began the medicine. She may or may not make it through the winter, but she has been happy for a month. One woman suggested I keep doing the meds once a week now, so that is what I am doing. Hang in there. They can be real fighters. This same chicken got bitten by my dog, and survived that.

I am not 100% sure if it's wry neck or an injury but something is going on with his neck. I will get some vitamins and selenium today and try it. It does seem like whatever is wrong seems to be making it hard to bend his head down to eat so I have to do something for him. I can move his neck when I hold him and he doesn't seem to mind but when I am not flexing and supporting it, it goes limp again.

I am not 100% sure if it's wry neck or an injury but something is going on with his neck. I will get some vitamins and selenium today and try it. It does seem like whatever is wrong seems to be making it hard to bend his head down to eat so I have to do something for him. I can move his neck when I hold him and he doesn't seem to mind but when I am not flexing and supporting it, it goes limp again.

Frick01 gave you good advice. Regardless of whether it was caused by an injury or a vitamin deficiency the addition of vitamin E/selenium and polyvisol will be helpful in his recovery. You may want to add vitamin B as well or look for a poultry vitamin to add to drinking water that has B vitamins in it. Wry neck can certainly look like a broken neck or injury and I understand what you mean from the "bump" that you are feeling. My little guy felt like he had something skeletal wrong when his neck was twisted. If he is having a hard time leaning forward to eat try raising his food and water and you may try moistening his food or feeding scrambled eggs to make it easier for him. You may not see immediate improvement so patience is a virtue! Just make sure he's taking in enough food and water because if not that will only compound his problems right now. Good luck and keep us updated :)

I followed ChickCrack's dosages.My chicken still eats with her neck sideways. I suspect this condition was from birth since she was the one who cried the most and had trouble thriving at first. I wish you the best with your girl. Winterizing the shelter this weekend.

I will try all of this. Thank you for the advice. I am thinking it is wry neck so hopefully it will help. Thid guy has always been a runt so could be something he has always has had..he is small with just a little comb and wattle and I even thought he was a she until recently when I heard him crow. He is now in his own pen with elevated food and water. I made him eggs but he has never had them before so not sure he will eat them and I gave him a mixture of yogurt and oatmeal that he usually loves. Now I just hope he eats some and I will go out for vitamins later today. Hope he gets better. He is my son's rooster and he will be so sad if we lose him. :(

I am getting so frustrated. I have been treating my 8 week old Welsummer roo for wry neck for 3 weeks with little to no improvement. I give selenium drops, vit E, prednisone, and poly vi sol every day. He is still in the large brooder with some pullets. Would isolation help? The girls are very protective of him. :)

I'm sorry I somehow missed your post. How is your little one doing now? Isolation may help. I have found a calm quiet environment can help ease symptoms and they may eat better which certainly helps.

SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP!! I realize this thread is a little old but I need help. I noticed my chicken outside with a crooked neck today. I've read a bunch of these posts and thought wry neck was her problem. But when I tried to use a dropper to give her some electrolytes while I wait for my hubby to bring home chick food and vitamins, I noticed that I couldn't even see her tounge in her throat and she started gurgling the two drops of water I gave her. I don't have a bird vet. What is wrong with my chicken? Do I have to put her down? I'm really freaking out about this. It seems like she has something caught in her throat that is holding it bound, but I can't see anything in there.

How old is your chicken? Could it have been injuried outside? I'm no chicken expert( I wish I was). I went to you tube when my chicken was sick, just to get images or videos of how other chickens acted or looked when my chicken was sick. My chickens neck was hanging down to the ground. She kept shaking her head and would walk backwards crazy like. I used a syringe when I held her head up to give her Pedi lyte and mixed in with scramble eggs for her to eat. Had to hold her head up to eat and almost shove her beak in it. Separated her from the flock.
Also Vitamin E capsules. Would poke a hole in one and squeeze it out,mix with the eggs or drip in her mouth. I know I had to be careful when using the syringe for fluids as not to have her aspirate. Gave fluids very slow. There are a lot of good suggestions on this feed.
I would watch her closely and maybe separate her from the flock to see how she does. I wouldn't put her down yet. I would wait and see how things progress or get better. One thing I have leaned with my short time of raising my girls are they are pretty resilient. Kept us updated.

Id advise NOT to put her down. Instead, if you can, work on gently straightening her neck and getting liquids in her. Try vit b and electrolytes. She will need mostly to stay hydrated for now. Food can come later. Do let us know how she does and know that is probably never too late to respond to a thread as there is always someone waiting to help.

Back
Top Bottom