Letter from a Retail Worker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
I stick by my philosophy that EVERY teenager should spend 6 months to a year working one of these jobs to understand just how difficult they are. No better way to learn about Hard Work and Customer Service than by being on the other side of the counter. Then maybe we would have better behaved adults!

shoplifting "or known as stealing" is everywhere.
Certainly not just stores, people will steal anything not nailed down literally, and then they try that also..
lol.png

it is the price of the item. so many think it is "not stealing" because it was a $1.50 pack of gum vs. stealing your ATV or car or generator out of your garage or anything else.

all i can say is thanks ropo i enjoed reading that letter , it was very nice and to the point .

Also my sis works at Tim Houtions (sp) and one time there was only 2 people out on countior and they were the ones the were dissagnated that place for there shift , they were bissey at the moment a custmere was there , so he opened up the place you go in and holdered at the people in back that were doing this like baking ect. my sis was on her breck thank god

I understand the meaning of the letter and the OPs right to fluff up the wording, but I thought the letter was very offensive to customers.
And the OP is a customer in other stores. remember that retail workers do shop and are customers at some point also!
smile.png

so the letter might have been written to the OP themselves..LOL

After 19 years at Kroger ( grocery store) I will only say this..... EVERYONE SHOULD HAVE TO WORK RETAIL FOR JUST 1 WEEK , TAKE YOUR PICK , JULY 4TH WEEK, THANKSGIVING WEEK, CHRISTMAS WEEK, EASTER WEEK ...... You will have a new attitude of those who work retail the crazy hours they work so that the shelves are stocked . My oldest son was 4 years old before I saw him open his Easter basket ... WHY ? I was re-stocking from the day before . I am so Thanksful that I retitred at age 37 from Kroger with 19 years of service . Now I have the best under paid job in the world ... I am a MOM and love every minute of it .

Quote:
It would only be offensive if you do the things mentioned. Store employees are paid to stock the selves, set up displays, help a customer find a particular item, and check you out. There are an amazing amount of things the employees are supposed to be doing besides helping customers. We are not there to be abused, yelled at, baby sit, provide entertainment for your children, or do your shopping.

In our store well behaved children are appreciated and if possible, will be given special opportunities others do not receive. Some of our best customers are responsible children.

I love to actually DO the job I'm getting paid for. Just remember most stores are short staffed and the employees can't change that. Good employees have to make up for the poor employees or those that call out. Store policies are store policies - if I break them to make you happy I will lose my job.

I worked retail at a major department store one Christmas....it was the worst job I ever had. The "sales goals" put you in direct competition with all your co-workers, part-time was 35 hours a week to keep from having to pay benefits, and managers were never available if there was an issue. If a mistake was made ringing up an item, the whole transaction had to be voided and restarted. Try this during the after Christmas sales when each ornament has to be discounted individually, and each customer has about 100 of them.

I've had things thrown at me, I've been sworn at, I've been told I'm stupid, incompetent and obviously unable to do my job....just for following the company's rules. I've had to spend an additional hour or more after work doing "recovery" at the store. This is just cleaning up all the stuff the customers have left on the floor, in the dressing rooms, or anywhere else they feel like. Dirty diapers under the clothes displays are a particular favorite.

I have the utmost sympathy for retail workers this time of year.

I worked in a Grocery Store for about 14 years. The last 10 years I have worked in a warehouse that supplies groceries for a major retailer. I used to get stressed out before major hollidays. Now I think about what happened a little over 2000 years ago to someone who came along that started Christmas. Then I think about what that person had to go thru so we can have pease on earth. Now going to work before Christmas is oh so easy.

Quote:
It would only be offensive if you do the things mentioned. Store employees are paid to stock the selves, set up displays, help a customer find a particular item, and check you out. There are an amazing amount of things the employees are supposed to be doing besides helping customers. We are not there to be abused, yelled at, baby sit, provide entertainment for your children, or do your shopping.

In our store well behaved children are appreciated and if possible, will be given special opportunities others do not receive. Some of our best customers are responsible children.

I love to actually DO the job I'm getting paid for. Just remember most stores are short staffed and the employees can't change that. Good employees have to make up for the poor employees or those that call out. Store policies are store policies - if I break them to make you happy I will lose my job.

Personally, I enjoy having to clean up throw up when the parent says "My child just threw up on aisle 9, do I need to clean that up or can you get that?" Getting things thrown at you for not having the specific item that was in the sales flier, ESPECIALLY a 4 hour sale early in the morning...and you come in at 12:00 PM expecting the item to still be there...

Sorry, rambling. Hikerchick, I've worked retail for 6 years...I think I have enough patience but this time of year brings out the worst in ALL people. This letter was written to help everyone see that retail workers DO have feelings and we DO have to live with issues that happen at work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom