Letter from a Retail Worker

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am glad I don't have to deal with the store experiences most have had.

Down South we don't eat each other alive in the stores. All my experiences most people are friendly etc.
Sure you get the stupid nasty customers AND DON'T forget the idiot forgetful not useful to any degree retail worker!
2 sides of this coin definitely.

Go shopping with a smile on your face and being happy and it should go well for everyone.
Go shopping with a "I have no time for this" or "I don't want to be here" attitude and it won't be a good shopping experience..LOL

Quote:
How does she know her customer's medical history and weight?

If you let everyone live their own life and don't judge or comment on their purchases cause it isn't your business....then life would not become so hard hearted at all.

A 350 lb (do you know diabetic for sure?) woman could be buying $300 worth of candy for a donation to an orphanage to put into Christmas stockings.

YOU DON'T KNOW......so the comments and judgements like this are just sad, sad, sad and useless. (and this is exactly how most people think)

Quote:
So true. And true for the workers.

Go to work with a "customers are pains in the butt" attitude and you won't give them the respect they deserve.
Go to work with an "I'm not getting paid enough for this" attitude and you won't give your employer what they are paying you for.

Dear retail worker:

It's not my fault your feet hurt. It's not my fault your wages are low. It's not my fault you got stuck on a shift you don't like. It's not my fault the store is crowded. It's not my fault you don't have patience to deal with people's problems. So don't take it out on me. Do your job, and put the customer first.

Thanks!

Quote:

Go to work with a "customers are pains in the butt" attitude and you won't give them the respect they deserve.
Go to work with an "I'm not getting paid enough for this" attitude and you won't give your employer what they are paying you for.

Dear retail worker:

It's not my fault your feet hurt. It's not my fault your wages are low. It's not my fault you got stuck on a shift you don't like. It's not my fault the store is crowded. It's not my fault you don't have patience to deal with people's problems. So don't take it out on me. Do your job, and put the customer first.

Thanks!

Gladly! I love doing my job, makes the time fly. Just dont come into my store with an 'all you teenage workers are morons and cant get anything right' attitude.

Seriously though, Kudos for pointing out the other side of the coin. I detest people who dont realise they are getting paid to work not stand around and whinge.

Quote:

Dear retail worker:

Thanks!

Gladly! I love doing my job, makes the time fly. Just dont come into my store with an 'all you teenage workers are morons and cant get anything right' attitude.

Seriously though, Kudos for pointing out the other side of the coin. I detest people who dont realise they are getting paid to work not stand around and whinge.

Nah, I love teenagers. I have one of my own! I especially respect teenagers with jobs. So I am usually extra nice- I am always cheerful when spending money anyway; which is strange because I really have none to spend. But my life is so drab that a trip to a local retail outlet is like a fun outing to me so I am jazzed and happy. Love watching that merchandise slide into a bag for its trip home with me.

Quote:
How does she know her customer's medical history and weight?

If you let everyone live their own life and don't judge or comment on their purchases cause it isn't your business....then life would not become so hard hearted at all.

A 350 lb (do you know diabetic for sure?) woman could be buying $300 worth of candy for a donation to an orphanage to put into Christmas stockings.

YOU DON'T KNOW......so the comments and judgements like this are just sad, sad, sad and useless. (and this is exactly how most people think)

some people are at their happiest when they are judging others.

My husband has started working retail and one of the things that upset him the most is the amount of shoplifting that goes on. Does that happen in all stores? He has found candy wrappers stuck in different ailse, items missing from bags, etc. He says that he could almost understand food but people steal carpet fresh.

Last edited:
Amen to this thread. And I just wanted to say I appreciate retail workers, food servers and even movie theater employees. I've done those jobs in the past and I will never forget them----some of the hardest work you can do for minimal pay----while requiring very high tolerance at seasonal times (summers and holidays).

A smile will always get you better service than a bad attitude.
Both customers and workers can have bad days...

money does not get your better service than other people, nor a name...

If you don't consider possible lines or delays when you go out, there's always the option of staying home lol.

I vividly remember hostile people when I worked at a movie theater...Hmm, I guess the customers thought since I worked there that I contributed to creating the prices, the hours, the parking, the size of the theater, the inventory, etc...Wow, I never got my royalties then...Boy was I cheated LOL.

I just want to say THANK YOU to all of you who work in retail, food service, and any/all service work---especially postal workers and delivery people...and those who keep the electricity working and repaired. There are no small jobs out there, and through good and bad days you help.

Thank You!
Bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom