Letter from a Retail Worker

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been in the position of having my child hurl in a public place. Problem is, I don't typically carry a roll of paper towels, disinfectant, or a mop and bucket with me. I would have been happy to clean it up were I not so ill equipped. Perhaps what people should do is ask for something to clean it up with. Do you see the problem here?

And I am sure that the season brings out the worst in many people but I have had the pleasure of dealing with many, many, pleasant people in retail. They manage to stay pleasant in spite of it all. Why is it so difficult for some?

Wow... I'm guessing for those who haven't been there, there is no understanding. So let me add to the letter..
Dear Customer,
In order to cut costs, management has only 12 people scheduled to work today. The amount of workers needed to really satisfy customer needs is 20. Out of those 12, 2 didn't show up. I'm a cashier, and have always only been a cashier. Today, I'm covering register, and hardware, and the toy dept. Those items on sale starting today? Oh, well, we only got one in, and it sold. No, I don't know when more will be in. I apologize sincerely, and explain this is not my usual dept. I offer to find someone who knows. But management is hiding somewhere - upstairs in their locked office, and not answering me. I'm seriously doing all I can.
As you and 8 other people are rushing toward me, demanding to know where that *gotta have item* is, I am searching for 3 other customers. Yes, I am walking up and down aisles, because I truly have no idea. I am trying to help!
Meanwhile, I have to stop and pick 87 other toys off the floor. Yes, I HAVE to. It is a trip hazard, and we do have to costantly watch out for safety hazards. If you fell on that toy, you would sue. Someone over in hardware just spilled a quart of oil. Now, I have to clean that up, with 11 people following me, and the intercom screaming for me to open a register, and a page for a price check, in toys, for a toy I never heard of.
If I ran the store ( and I HAVE), I would ensure there were 22 people working. But for this letter, I am not running the store. I'm not in charge. I came to work today as scheduled. And I am doing my best.
As for cashier Jane Doe - the reason she seems to be going slow is she has to be careful how she bags items. Several customers screamed at her for "Not doing it right". She also just came back to work from a medical leave. Yes, she might be moving slow, but she is here, trying her best. she could have stayed home today like the other 2 did. Then I would be running register, toys, hardware AND childrens.
I'm sorry if I seem rude, rushed or short with you. I know it isn't your fault I have been running around, pulled in 4 different directions without a break for 6 hours straight. I know it is frustrating for you because I can not answer your question. But please realize, I am just as frustrated as you. I want to be able to help. I am not mad at you. I am mad , angry, totally ticked at management.
Oops, gotta run- some little kid just knocked over a display.

They manage to stay pleasant in spite of it all. Why is it so difficult for some?

Coming out of lurking to say:

Everybody has a breaking point.

I picked up some seasonal work once at a Halloween superstore. I was polite and professional in my dealings, and actually rather enjoyed working at that location.

The morning of Halloween, we were pretty well sold out of everything remotely popular. A woman came in looking for a particular costume, and we were out. I started to offer to call a couple other locations to see if by chance they still had one when the woman just completely went off on me. I asked her not to shout curses in a store where children were present and her response was to grab my hair and start pulling. She also attempted to claw my face while I was just trying to get away. My manager just stood there gaping instead of coming to my aid, but fortunately another customer (all hail the boys from the local Air Force base!) came to my rescue.

I'm not sure how pleasant I was expected to stay after that.

I have been in the position of having my child hurl in a public place. Problem is, I don't typically carry a roll of paper towels, disinfectant, or a mop and bucket with me. I would have been happy to clean it up were I not so ill equipped. Perhaps what people should do is ask for something to clean it up with. Do you see the problem here?

Often, the problem is dragging a sick child all around the mall for several hours and feeding said child junk food, then ignoring the child's distress and pleas that they feel they are going to throw up.

Some pukes are pretty spontaneous, and as a retail worker, I was perfectly willing to empathize with the embarrassed parent who was comforting a sick child and apologizing for the mess. But the folks that just kept sauntering on with an offhand 'oh, my kid puked back there' and then keep shopping instead of tending to the kid, or worse, the folks that would do things like pull clothes off a rack to pile on top of the puke and then walk off, well, they can just go stick a rusty spork where the sun don't shine.​

Hang in there RoPo... only 4 shopping days left!!

I am counting down the hours too... DH is right there with ya...I dont think he has locked himself in the office...lol.
wink.png

I haven't run into any problems except the line at walmart that was waiting for a price check and nobody ever came back with a price. The customer finally gave up after 15 minutes.

You'd think this is the time of year for lots more people to be shopping without their kids-no?
I take my little guy everywhere- besides the occasional opening of a box of gummies to keep him busy- I can't say I remember the last time I saw him or anybody's kids running wild and puking in a store. Maybe there were some and I just never noticed. I like kids, and they do get sick sometimes. Everybody gets sick.

You know how a cat will always come to a person that doesn't like cats? From some of the OPs other posts- it seems she has a problem with children in general- no matter what time of year it is.
hmm.png

I feel for you all and a big thank you for your dedication to customer services!

With us, we HAVE to be patient when the lines are slow or we got a little old lady who walks an inch to a minute long just to get to the counter. What do we do when we wait in line? Talk to people behind or in front of you would ease up the impatience in us. Or give a little humor and sometimes one line humor to the razzled cashier can brighten her day or it might sour her big time, take your chance!

You as a customer, as you are browsing the aisle and run into a toy that is on the floor. Please pick it up and put it away if you are in the correct isle. If not, if you are heading that direction, you can find it and put it back or put it in the "restocking" cart. Not all stores would have "restocking carts" available. Those things are handy if you are not incline to look for the proper place for the toy back on the shelves. Also it gives us a bit of exercise too and gives the stocker a break too!

And I would do WalMart a favor, a BIG favor, of not bringing my husband's mother with me.....she is a chronic shoplifter, gets caught, then WalMart let her go without pressing charges even she is a REPEATED offender!!! So I do not do any shopping, not ANYTHING, with her. After I have found out this "disease" from hubby, I was furious and refused to take her because I do not want to be "assisting" to the thefts. Her famous excuse for shoplifting would be "oh, it fell in my purse!" BULL****! And bringing in her pet NON SERVICE dogs in the store is another one! If she wants to do her shopping, she would do it ALONE but I feel so sorry for my FIL. What is it with WalMart not pursuing the charges against hubby's mom???!!!! Yeah she may be old but she is still pistol whip smart!

Quote:
Its not a lack of patience, empathy or not liking people....Its the fact that no human should ever treat another like they are a child. Yelling is poor behavior and adults who do it are acting like spoiled brats. We all are tired and rushed....Its the golden rule that should come into play regardless.

Quote:
Its not a lack of patience, empathy or not liking people....Its the fact that no human should ever treat another like they are a child. Yelling is poor behavior and adults who do it are acting like spoiled brats. We all are tired and rushed....Its the golden rule that should come into play regardless.

And I doubt that anyone loves every aspect of their job. The OP was just venting about whats difficult in her job right now, just like many others have done. She never said that she didnt like people. She just doesnt like being treated disrespectfully over things that she cannot control.

Letter from a Healthcare Worker:

Dear Patient;

I realize you're stressed, but do you think screaming about the ER wait time is going to make us see you faster? I'm sorry that we have a patient in the trauma room bleeding out and another who has been in a car accident, and the patient in the cardiac room who is having a massive heart attack. It is beyond my control. I know you feel your splinter, flu-like symptoms, broken nail take precidence, but we have people in here who are dying. We will see them first, so please, be respectful.

Remember, once you are in the room it is no guarantee things will move any more quickly. Chances are we have drawn blood, taken x-rays, etc. These tests take time to complete, it is not a matter of instant gratification.

Also, if you spit in my face one more time, I will call the police and I will have you hauled off to jail. If you are intoxicated and spit in my face, sorry, no second chances, I have already done so. Same goes for kicking, hitting, or shoving me. Just because I am in uniform and cannot hit back does not mean I won't press charges. This is the ER, we have the police on speed dial.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would like to say so much more, but this is a family freindly forum, so I'll leave it at that.

I understand the frustration associated with ER wait times, I really do, but I wish each person who gets angry and disrespectful about it could work one of my 12 hour shifts just once.
hmm.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom