Letter from MN Congressman...for MN peeps

sparkles2307

Terd of Hurtles
11 Years
Oct 23, 2008
Northwestern Minnesota
Dear Ms. ....

Thank you for contacting me regarding your concerns about H.R. 875, the Food Safety and Modernization Act.

H.R. 875 would divide up the responsibilities of the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and create a separate agency within the Department of Health and Human Services known as the 'Food Safety Administration.' This new office would be responsible for overseeing food safety and labeling and preventing food-borne illnesses.

I have heard from several Minnesotans who are concerned that this bill would make it more difficult for gardeners, organic producers, or farmers' markets to stay in business. Others worry that it would require organic producers to use certain seeds or chemicals or else face heavy fines.

As it is currently written, H.R. 875 would not regulate or shut down backyard gardens, farmers' markets or organic farms. And nothing in this bill would require organic producers to use a certain type of seed or chemical.

This bill is pending consideration before the House Energy and Commerce Committee and the House Agriculture Committee. As the Chairman of the House Agriculture Committee, I can assure you that I will continue to make food safety a top priority for Congress. And as a supporter of locally-grown and organic agriculture, I will work to make sure that no legislation outlaws organic production or backyard gardens.

Sincerely,

Collin C. Peterson

Member of Congress

CCP/mb

Back
Top Bottom