Letting a hen hatch in winter yay or nay?

Were any eggs added or layed after the hen started setting? The hen will usually leave the nest and any unhatched eggs after 2-3 days after the first chick hatches, so if they added after she started sitting than you would have problem. Otherwise the breed doesn't matter. Most of mine will hatch on day 20.

I have not added any more. I gave her 6 throughout the day last Monday then I gave her 4 more early Tuesday morning. She recieved all her eggs in a 24 hour period. I didn't expect them all to be fertile but looks like they all are.

After they hatch you might want to put a little fence around them, I use a 10x3 foot piece of hardware cloth and form a circle. It will help to keep the hen and chicks confined but still let everyone see them and get used to them. It also keeps the food and water close. It also takes about 1-2 weeks for the chicks to get strong enough to get away from any other hens if they try to peck them. I also lock them back up at night for the first month or so until I feel they are doing okay.

I lock my flock up every night. She is brooding in one of my nesting boxes. It would be very difficult to fence around it without blocking the other boxes. Should I move her? I have a fenced in area under my roost. I use it for integrating new birds and to cut off feed for processing. Mama would have her privacy bug everyone else can see her and the babies. Idk if it is even possible to move her before they hatch. I hate to upset her and her not finish. Maybe I am over thinking it. I have to sit out a lower feeder and waterer all mine are higher up.

Do not attempt moving hen with clutch prior to day 19. By that time hen will be bonding / imprinting vocally with embryos. Moving too early can cause her to abort incubation effort.

I feel so overwhelmed. I won't move her now but in the long run around day 20
Or 21 just before they hatch should I move her? or let it be? How soon do I need feeders set up for the babies? I really should hVe researched this before giving it a go. Lol. Sounded like a good idea.

I wait until they all hatch before moving, some will allow being moved after some hatch but it's best to wait until they all do, hopefully you can be around to supervise.

Alrighty I would fence off the corner giving momma the last two nesting boxes but of course the one next to her is everyones favorite and they'd have a fit if I kicked them out of it. I suppose they can just get over it. That way I don't have to stress a out moving momma or any of that. Hmmm...

I feel so overwhelmed. I won't move her now but in the long run around day 20
Or 21 just before they hatch should I move her? or let it be? How soon do I need feeders set up for the babies? I really should hVe researched this before giving it a go. Lol. Sounded like a good idea.

Hatching is usually stretched out over about 24 hours. They have enough yolk remaining in their abdomen to carry them a good 36 to 48 hours beyond hatch. Ideally allow all to hatch then wait for hen to move chicks out of nest her self. I that day is really cold and chicks expected to have trouble getting out of nest then that is when you need to intervene. The chicks can handle falling several feet without damage so do not worry about that. You are going to find this process is very easy when mother is involved. Have a shallow water dish where hen and chicks can get to it easily and feet a couple feet from the water and you are well on your way. Use a chick starter and do not be concerned if hen eats it.

Back
Top Bottom