Letting eggs settle from shipping or not?

artvandolay

Songster
Feb 16, 2023
So. California
I have some Serama eggs that were shipped and arrived today around 3. I have some standard-sized eggs coming later this week so I borrowed an incubator just in case in needed to put them into two separate incubators for their staggered delivery times.

Q1. Should I let them settle for 24 hours before putting them in the incubator or is that unnecessary? And if so, should I put them fat side up so they're upside down or right side up in the carton before placing them in the incubator?

Q2. Should I just wait until the others arrive and put them all together or put the Sermas in this one and the other regular-sized ones in the other? I read that they can be kept for 48 hours or more if kept at lower temperatures before incubation. Is that correct? What would be the absolute longest I should go before putting them in?

Thanks!

Let the eggs rest pointy side down for at least 12 hours so that the air sacs can settle. Candle the eggs and see if you have any saddled or dislocated air sacs. If your other eggs are coming in the next day or to I would put them in all together.

I have some Serama eggs that were shipped and arrived today around 3. I have some standard-sized eggs coming later this week so I borrowed an incubator just in case in needed to put them into two separate incubators for their staggered delivery times.

Q1. Should I let them settle for 24 hours before putting them in the incubator or is that unnecessary? And if so, should I put them fat side up so they're upside down or right side up in the carton before placing them in the incubator?

Q2. Should I just wait until the others arrive and put them all together or put the Sermas in this one and the other regular-sized ones in the other? I read that they can be kept for 48 hours or more if kept at lower temperatures before incubation. Is that correct? What would be the absolute longest I should go before putting them in?

Thanks!
I have done both with letting rest 24 hrs and letting rest till they are room temp. I haven't found much of a difference. You always let them rest pointy side down so that the air cell is at the top. As was stated before candle before placing and if any have detached air cells you can try to put them in the incubator pointy side down and hope the air cell attaches again. I haven't had luck with this though but others have.

The last batch I got arrived around 8:30am I let them rest 6 hrs to come to room temp and set them at 2:30pm. Normally I would have waited a bit longer (try for 12 hrs) but a lot of other factors went into why I placed them when I did. I honestly don't think that it makes much of a difference in how they develop.

if your other eggs are coming in the next day or two then I would wait if they are longer than that then I would probably set them. Some people place all eggs in one incubator then move them to another one for lock down and leave the rest in the first one until they are ready for lock down so that is another thing you can do is just add the 2nd set to first then move the first set to other incubator when it is time for lockdown.

Back
Top Bottom