Letting them into the garden ......

Dogfish

Rube Goldberg incarnate
9 Years
Mar 17, 2010
Western Washington
.....after I have pulled my last edible veggies.

What do I need to be worried about? I have corn, potatoes (almost all the plants are dead now), onions, carrots, green beans, peas, asparagus, artichokes, romaine, kol rabi, chard, and a few other items.

I'll do my best to get out all potatoes, plants and etc.

I would remove any onion, garlic, and pepper plants as this can effect egg flavor. Potato plants should not hurt them as long as they can't get to the potatoes them selves.

Mine have been in the garden for a couple of weeks now. I protect the chard, lettuce, garlic and beets from them using netting because we're still eating them, they can eat the leaves down to nubs in a matter of hours and the garlic is there for next year. I leave/store my carrots in the ground all winter so cover them with leaves, the birds will eat off the tops but not bother the roots. Since I covered the garden with leaves the birds are having a ball digging and tossing them around--I assume cleaning up all the slugs, bugs and weed seeds they can find while depositing little piles of fertilizer.

This may be a silly Q but will the chickens stay in the garden most likely? WE have a garden on the side of where our chickens roam and I would like to let them into the garden area just afraid if once in there they will try to get over the fence where they usually are allowed to roam? TY :)

Back
Top Bottom