Lewie is making a strange sound.....

griemar

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 9, 2011
A new development with Lewie and I'm not sure if it's good bad or what. He'll stand next to me and be chattering like he normally does, but then he'll make this wierd squeal and what sounds like a growl. Usually when this happens his neck will bend wierd and his feathers all fluff for a moment. Is it a sneaze, cough, something to worry about? Knowing my luck with him it's probally some wierd mating thing and he's decided that I'm his best bet, but I just want to make sure, LOL. Also, He's developed his first case of bumblefoot. He has a tiny spot with the scab. I got him some triple antibiotic cream and trying that alone for now. Hoping with catching it this early will save me the heart ache of cutting it open. Time will tell.

Griemar

Sounds like his is courting you. My drake does strange sounds and feather fluffs around me. So I'd just keep a close eye on him to be absolutely sure it's nothing else but just being a drake in love. as for the bumble foot, soak at least once a day in some epsom salt water about 30 min. each time. the apply the antibiotic salve. I use a plastic dish pan and put about 1 cup of epsom salt and warm water, then have him stand in it both feet and just lightly hold him my drake usually just stands there and enjoys the soak. You don't want him drinking the water though it will act like a laxative. All the best..

I had a strange feeling that's what it was, I just had to be sure. Yes Lewie is a drake for sure, he has the typical curls at the end of his tail along with the raspy quack. As for his age, he's just about a year old. I got him for my wife on mothers day and he was about a week old then.

Griemar

Back
Top Bottom