LG and FI Turner Motors - Failures - Diagnostics?

aart

Chicken Juggler!
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Nov 27, 2012
SW Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
Mostly just a cathartic vent here.....
....unless anyone has tested/studied these things extensively enough to contribute to my musings.

Have searched BYC and not found much of anything other than 'buy a new one'.
So I ordered a new one.

Have 2 that are not working in a heated incubator.

Tested one both not loaded and fully loaded at room temp on table top,
even took pics at timed 30 minute intervals so as not to miss anything and be able to review motions/positions.
Everything looked pretty good...except....
....there was some hesitation at one far position and motor shaft linkage appeared to be creeping off motor shaft but was easily pushed back on.
Great, I'll just keep an eye on it.
Well, once in the bator and all heated up that didn't cut it...shaft linkage was way down shaft and very difficult to push back on.
After taking it off found it had been rotated past the flat on the shaft.

So I took it out and replaced it with my turner(first one is a buddies I am hatching for).
Now my turner appears to have crapped out.
..and I really wonder if it's was working the last hatch I did,
I have never paid this much attention to it but my buddy said they had trouble with it so I was watching carefully(obsessively).

Now I see, in the middle of writing this tome,
that after an assumed 18 hours(didn't check it while sleeping from 10p-6a)
of being stuck in one place it's moving again I did give it a wiggle.
Maybe there's a pinch/binding point at end of stroke due to motor mount misalignment??

I now have buddies motor off turner and plugged in, it is turning at rate expected but making a racket.

An.y.way......
If you've read all that, are still interested, and if you have paid close enough attention to really know
my main questions are:

-Does the motor make noise when working properly?
-Is the heat of motor normal? It's not too hot to touch, but still.
Guess I'll know those when new motor gets here and I plug it in to test it.

-Anyone ever taken one of these things apart...anything repairable in there??

-IS there's a pinch/binding point at end of stroke due to motor mount misalignment??
There is some slop in the clearance holes for motor mount screws.
There's a lot of linkage points on turner mechanism and they all seem pretty loose(not binding)...until it get to that supposed pinch point.

Off to find something to do other than bang my head against this issue(yeah,right).

Don't know about those brands specifically. I've been using a Hovabator 12V turner and the motor died last week. It would run but not turn. Playing around with the turner and I had some binding in it. Took all the rails out and scrapped & sanded the contact points to get rid of the extra plastic.
Bought a universal replacement motor from Incubator warehouse. It's a 110v AC motor and it gets hot!. You can touch it but it's too warm to hold onto. Makes a slight hum when turned on.

I don't think there is anything repairable in them since the housing is pressed together. No way to open it without prying out the pressings. But, I may open it up just to look.

Thanks TJack.
I may open one too, just out of curiosity.

Also think there's a binding in the linkage somewhere...and may do some sanding and scraping.
My turner appears to be working again in the incubator, after some judicious 'wiggling' of linkages.

New motor arrived.
It's quiet, but definitely too hot to hold.

Haven't installed it yet as my turner is still working fine for this incubation.

Back
Top Bottom