LG Bator humidity???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rekabnivek, Jul 13, 2011.

1. rekabnivek

rekabnivek Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2011
    Set up my LG Bator. Only able to get 50-55% humidity with all vents closed. It has the egg turner and a homemade forced air fan(PC fan). Any ideas on raising humidity for the lockdown period. Like to know before time comes. Setting eggs around 7/14. Thanks

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Your in a relatively dry climate then, I get that much humidity with one of the small water holders. Well, in late winter it takes both the small holders. Any who, there is plenty of space from the three holders to edge to lay in a sponge or two. Humidity is relative to surface area of water in unit so a sponge provides plenty of area.

If you have not calibrated your hygrometer I suggest you do now. Put in ziplock bag with bottle cap full of a salt paste (just enough water to make a paste not slurry). After 6 hours it will be 75% humidity in that bag, adjust your hygrometer acordingly.

3. ChickyChickyBaby

ChickyChickyBaby Barefoot Bantams

Quote:Calibrate your hygrometer.

Also, mine is never over 55% and does not have a fan.

Only time I get it higher than 50-55% is when hatching ducks.

I add the plugs to get my humidity up.......I incubate with one plug out.

If you need it higher, you can add wet sponges...

4. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    I had the hardest time getting humidity where I wanted it with my LG. I ended up using wet rolled up paper towels. It was easy to tell when they were drying up and needed more water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by