LG Incubator Temp Adjusting Knob Driving Me INSANE!! Any hints for me?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chic-n-farmer, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

The wretched thing is impossible to regulate.... Trying to increase or decrease in small increments is so tough. I end up a degree higher or lower than I aimed for.... any helpful hints?

2. RHewitt

RHewitt Chillin' With My Peeps

You have to get a feel for only turning the knob just a touch at the time and keep the temp in your house on the same setting if possible. I found that a fluctuation of just a few degrees in my house had me fighting the LG all the time. Once you get it close don't keep adjusting it. When you add water use luke warm to avoid cooling it down. Make sure you are in an area away from a heating vent or drafts. If your bator is old you may consider replacing the thermostat..it could be causing the problem. Once I got mine adjusted it has worked good.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  3. jnjross

jnjross Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    edwards, ms
    get a genesis [​IMG] i know the feeling i have to adjust mine 5 times a day , last night perfect, morning 98 (i left it), 3pm 104, [​IMG] .

genesis is on it's way,,

4. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    I fought with mine for awhile, then finally, I gave up on getting it exactly to 99.5 and when I gave up, that's when it hit exactly 99.5. Now it goes from 99.5-100.0, but I don't muck with it, .5F off is better than trashing the hatch.

5. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    I have read many of these before about these LG bators, try fitting on a bigger knob then it will be so much easier to turn it in smaller increments. Just try some different things laying around the house and try them.

AL

6. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Get a checker or something like it. drill a hole in it an glue it on the knob. Now you can turn it in smaller increments.

7. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

Thank you all! I appreciate the advice! [​IMG]

8. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    I have to adjust my stryofoams all the time 3-5 times a day. Figured because we don't heat/air our house. ANyway, I've read where someone puts their incubator in a larger styrofoam container, the temps hold bretter. I may try this the next time.

Also, I want to make a paper circle and tape it on the box and try marking it for desired evening temp, morning, temp etc, so I have a more accurate time.

Hubby bought me a really nice old homemade wood incubator and I'm so happy with it. Not so much finagling. Have a blessed day! Nancy

9. natalie1136

natalie1136 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2009
    Dennison Illinois
    Quote:My husband cut a chunck of wood and drilled a hole in the bottom to fit ocer knob. Now making adjustments is easy.

Nataile

10. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    LG Incubator Temp Adjusting Knob Driving Me INSANE!! Any hints for me?

Get rid of the LG and buy a Hovabator 1588.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by