LG still air 9200

BayCityBabe

Songster
11 Years
May 1, 2008
I have a chance to buy one that has been used only once. (Not sure if there's a significance there...) I have read posts about it being rather touchy. A review on Amazon stated that she only got one chick out of a batch & she felt that the temp fluctuated too much.
Two questions:
Is this a poor choice for novices?
What is a fair price for the 'bator & an egg turner?
I want to get into a good unit for less than $100

Thank you BYC friends!

Quote:
The main issue seems to be the temperature adjustment, which is very sensitive.

If you set it up early, and don't fiddle once it's all good, and keep it in a stable temp. room .... then it will hatch eggs.

Oh, and well under $100
smile.png

Thank you. I am not looking for a machine that totally eliminates my participation. Just wondering: If I can check it a couple times a day, am I alright?

Quote:
The LG 9200 still air is a GREAT beginners incubator in my opinion. Yes they can be touchy, and yes other incubators may hold temps/humidity better, but you CAN get good hatches from this incubator.

Because of the shear fact that it is sometimes "touchy" it provides a good learning experience about temp/humidity levels, and provides for a very interactive hatching experience.

I've heard people complain about LG's quite often, but I would never trade my experiences for anything. I still remember the excitement I had when I bought it at Tractor Supply, and I still remember the anticipation of that first hatch!

I've had mine as a still air for four years now. Over the summer I've added an automatic turner, I've wired in a PC cooling fan to turn it into a forced air, and I've installed a digital hydrometer. The digital thermometer is next.

The thermostats are very sensitive on it, but if you run it for 24 to 48 hours before you set eggs in it, get it leveled off, and monitor the environment it is in, you shouldn't have a problem. I would not suggest putting it in an overly cold or drafty room however.

Good luck and keep us updated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it a good idea to put the Bator in a basement with heat/air, no windows? It stays a constant temp of 68 F. I think even in the house it seems like the temps fluctuate quite a bit. In the past my hatches were not good at all, with my LG from Tractor Supply. Now I have a basement and it seems like a better place??

Tammy

Quote:
Since the basement is a little colder than the average household, you may have to crank up the thermostat to compensate, but you shouldn't have that much of a problem. You might also try wrapping a goose down comforter or something of the like around the sides to help keep the air inside.

One good thing about the basement is I would suspect it would be a very moist environment with a good amount of humidity, so that is a plus!

The basement is a good suggestion. I will have DD track the temp in our (former) brooder room.

I used the 9200 this year with 90% or better hatch rates.

What I did was cut a hole large enough to glue an analog hygrometer into the top then setup a digital external thermometer with the probe in one of the 'water wigglers'. I believe the best thing I did was drape a large towel over the incubator. It seemed to help hold the temp/humidity in range.

I had better hatch rates without using the automatic turner. I just got used to turning the eggs when I woke up/got home from the office/before going to bed.

I use the 9200 w/turner all the time with great rates. Plus, I put six of them in different class rooms, again with god hatch rates. They are touchy but once you get the hang of them they will work you for. The main thing to remmenber is, DO NOT open it any more than you have to. Yes, I know you want to candle the eggs, I don't. The only time I open it is to take the turner out on day 18. I have set up two in the same class room, one I let the students open it and candle the eggs, hatch rate is about 25%. The other one is not opened until day 18, the hatch rate is 85% or better. Another thing is to keep the room temp at as close to 70
as you can. Anywhere between 70 & 80 with no drafts or direct sunlight on the unit. I try to get the unit set up & a stable temp for 3 days before I put the eggs in. I have other units that cost much more and some units I have made, still I use the 9200 more than all the others.

You might want to build one yourself.
That in itself is a lot of fun and you get to know the unit. They are not that hard to make and they have some great plans right here.

Back
Top Bottom