LGD Dog House

ScottandSam

Still learning
6 Years
Dec 24, 2016
Shell Knob, Missouri
Well after searching the last few nights I finally figured out on where our Great Pyrenees/Komondor mix, Floki will sleep. We picked him up after we lost a female yorkie, Bonnie to some coyotes last month. When we picked him up he had already been raise with other small pets, chickens and a kid. We knowing little put him in the coop with the chickens. We have not had and problems housing him at night in the coop. But being that we are picking up another female Great Pyrenees next month I had to figure out were they will sleep. Being that I don't have a barn for them to get out of the weather in . I figured that my best route was using a existing fire wood roofed structure I put up 2 years ago. So Here is Floki and our Daughter Megan.....

The one coming next month......

And the firewood shelter when it was being built.......

I got some time today to start getting things moved around in order to install some half log siding that is left over from the addition on our house. I lost daylight when I stopped to eat tonight so I'll update on the progress soon.

Scott

if it gets cold where you are, something much smaller would actually be better for them. no way their body heat could actually keep that warm. unless you have livestock you plan to house in there as well

Ok great I need some help then. This will only be for the dogs. It will have a door something like 22wx36"Tall (I'm not done framing it in yet.) I had planned that until there bigger I can shut the door at night to protect them, being they are pups. Then when they were older 1 year 1.5 year? Then take the door off the front. I also add a porch off the front.

The rafters are open under the roof. I'm in south west MO and our temps do get down to the teens sometimes but don't usual stay for long. So yes it does get cold but not a lot of snow.

So I was planning for vents that could be open up in the summer. It gets hot and humid.
And I was trying to think of a way to block air in the dog door in the winter once there grown. So they can come and go as needed.

With that in mind if it is that big and yep it's @ 7'x6' by 6-7' tall. Should I insulate it? Insulate the floor? We were going to bed it with hay. the right side will be for a welping area maybe but for now it will stay used for firewood.

As you might see I am not sure on designs and couldn't find ant good information.

Here is another picture........

Thanks Scott

I don't know if you've ever had LGDs before but many of them don't like dog houses to sleep in...even big dog houses. They actually prefer more open air situation as they have heavy double coats to keep them warm and they like to be able to scent easily, guard quickly and see the area they are guarding. As long as they have a nice place out of the wind and warm bedding, they are great.

I build a hay bunker for my LGD each winter, using several hay bales and a piece of plywood, in our spare pen/coop. The pen is wrapped with tarp to keep out the wind and snow but the people sized door stays wide open, as does the front of his hay bunker. My farm dog will sleep in his dog house in really cold weather but when it's not subzero weather, he usually opts to sleep in the spare pen with the LGD, in or near the hay bunker.

Ben's nest in the hay house...

Jake, the farm dog, sleeps in the entrance of the spare pen.

I wouldn't get too bogged down in creating a nice, tight dog house for the LGDs until you see their guarding/sleeping style. Just give them a place out of the wind and weather, plenty of dry, deep bedding and you'll have given them more than most LGD breeds have in their land of origin, where they sleep out in the fields or in barns at night with the sheep/goats.

I don't know if you've ever had LGDs before but many of them don't like dog houses to sleep in...even big dog houses. They actually prefer more open air situation as they have heavy double coats to keep them warm and they like to be able to scent easily, guard quickly and see the area they are guarding. As long as they have a nice place out of the wind and warm bedding, they are great.

I build a hay bunker for my LGD each winter, using several hay bales and a piece of plywood, in our spare pen/coop. The pen is wrapped with tarp to keep out the wind and snow but the people sized door stays wide open, as does the front of his hay bunker. My farm dog will sleep in his dog house in really cold weather but when it's not subzero weather, he usually opts to sleep in the spare pen with the LGD, in or near the hay bunker.

Ben's nest in the hay house...

Jake, the farm dog, sleeps in the entrance of the spare pen.

I wouldn't get too bogged down in creating a nice, tight dog house for the LGDs until you see their guarding/sleeping style. Just give them a place out of the wind and weather, plenty of dry, deep bedding and you'll have given them more than most LGD breeds have in their land of origin, where they sleep out in the fields or in barns at night with the sheep/goats.

You are right now we have never had a lgd before. The dog house will be where In lock him and her up till there trained and old enough to stand a chance with the coyotes. I also can lock them up if I have company if need be. I do not have a barn. so I will move forward with the dog house and not get a worried about insulating or venting. I like the straw fort:) you have for your. I could do similar in the winter. Thank you so much for the help.

Scott

Ok so I'm just about done.

From the road.........

another front door open........

the back side showing the dry firewood storage on the left..................

close up of big door on side..............

and a look inside ( dog door in on the other side of the short wall that my drinks on)....................

After the rain Tuesday I'm hoping to get the outside stained.

Scott

Needs a chimney
1f61b.png

Back
Top Bottom