LGDs-Is There a Short-Haired One?

speckledhen

Intentional Solitude
Premium Feather Member
17 Years
Feb 3, 2007
Blue Ridge Mtns. of North Georgia
I know it may be a dumb question and I know that the thick coats allow them to be outside in harsh weather as well as keep a predator from getting a mouthful of skin in a fight, but is there a short haired one? If not, which one has the easiest coat to care for? I'm not partial to long haired dogs, generally.

I believe the Anatolian does not have extremely long hair. At least not like a Great Pyr. I have a friend that has an Anatolian and his coat feels like an extra thick labrador coat.

I think there is a Russian breed that doesnt have the long hair, trying to remember the name! Do Maremmas(sp?) have long hair?

I'm not partial to long coats, myself...but it's super easy to learn to body clip a dog so you can have the benefits of the longer coat in the winter and a cooler, cleaner dog in summer months.

Kate, why am I having so many DUH! moments lately, LOL? Clipping is a perfect solution, isnt it? Be nice not to have to, however, you could go long in winter and short in summer. Kitty, dont SBs drool alot? Or am I thinking of another breed?

LOL @ Cyn! My very good friend, FlightsofFancy, is a professional dog groomer and has SEVERAL clients in this area who have her do her LGDs 2-3 times through the summer months.

and YES...SBs drool haha

If their jowls are loose they will drool alot. Find a breeder that has tighter jowled dogs and the drool won't be so bad.

St. Bernards were originally breed to be herd and watch dogs. They gained notority as rescue dogs due to the monistary in the swiss mountains. BTW-they can smell a person trapped 9 ft below the snow.

As someone mentioned the Anatolians have shorter fur, so do the Kuvasz. Or look for one of those breeds crossed with a Great Pyr and go for the shorter coated puppies.

Back
Top Bottom