Lice, a losing battle?

Ivermectin is NOT approved for use in poultry and has no stated withdrawal time. I would use that ONLY as a last resort.

Permethrin on the other hand is approved, works GREAT on lice, and has NO withdrawal period if used according to directions. I like the spray because it's SO easy to use. I part the feather near the vent, under the pits, and at the nape of the neck. Chickens get body, head, or feather lice. And the head lice may never travel to other part of the body to be treated.

Many vets will refuse ivermectin for chickens since it is an off label use. I would only go that route if I had depluming mites or something that the permethrin won't work for.

Also, mine was bought/labeled as horse fly spray. I bought it to keep mosquitoes off my goats and discovered it had other uses for my pets/livestock. That ready to use bottle was under $10 and had lasted 60+ chickens, 3 dogs, and 2 goats, plus roosts, nests, walls or whatever... for more than a year. And after seeing feather damage I was concerned wasn't being treated took a hen to the vet, who said "there used to be something, but no current evidence of parasites". In other words (Yes I had lice, I saw them), but the permethrin was effective.

Also, if you currently chase your birds to treat... try treating after they go to roost at night and keep it dim using a flashlight. Most birds should stay put where they are and no chasing required! ;)

Good luck, pests are a pain. :fl

If you want to go the all natural route, I have successfully used wood ash. It is messy, but works great on the chickens.

Procedure is as follows:
  1. Dig a shallow hole somewhere in the chicken pen, or use a large tub.
  2. Fill half way with some wood ash (NO pressure treated or painted woods)
  3. At dawn, begin by taking one chicken at a time hold them by their legs, on their back, and rub the wood ash under their neck, wings, back and vent area.
  4. Careful not to get it into their eyes or nostrils.
  5. Finish with a dab of non-toxic "Nu-Stock" ointment, on the comb. (Strong smelling stuff)
  6. The chickens will look scruffy, but they'll clean themselves in no time!
Be prepared, and work quickly to reduce stress time. It is good to have a helper.
Wear, long sleeves, head scarf, glasses and latex gloves if you don't want to get an ash bath too.

God Bless...hope it helps.

Those little inexpensive headlamp (flashlights) that have a red light are great for using in a coop at night. I use the regular light to see what I am doing, but then switch to the red when picking up chickens to inspect or medicate.

Permethrin 10% is available at TSC and other chains for as little at $11 a pt or $20 for a quart, to make many gallons. Follow mixing directions for spraying chickens or for coop treatment, and use a hand sprayer.
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/control-solutions-permethrin-10-1-pt?cm_vc=IOPDP1

Sorry you're having lice issues! I've dealt with (and continue to deal with) those darn bugs, too.

I would consider changing out the bedding and cleaning / treating the roost bars that they are regularly in contact with at least weekly until it's under control.

When I first noticed bugs on mine I saw them on the molted feathers.

They were microscopic. I almost couldn't see them!

i read that they will hide in the bedding and on roosts so I then checked the roost bars at night and saw that they were on the roost bars as well.

Lice, as well as all the other fun diseases and parasites, are just a thing where I live so I make sure I stay on top of it. I try to be aggressive with it because any one infestation leaves them open to everything else.

What works for me is changing shavings in the nest boxes and under the roosts weekly, then sprinkle the new shavings with poultry dust.

I change out the coop shavings (on the floors) monthly and sprinkle the floor shavings with poultry dust.

I clean and disinfect (bleach water solution) roosts monthly and once dry I spray with the permethrin spray as well.

Now no longer see the bugs on the molted feathers.

Best of luck!

@Hen Pen Jem if possible I would like the keep things as natural as possible! Do you make your own wood ash burning logs or do you buy it?

@EggSighted4Life is permethrin something I'll be able to find outside of the US? (I'm in the U.K)

Luckily most of my hens are quite friendly so I don't have to chase them around, but I do have one hen, Bunty who is a nightmare to catch so I will definitely try and get her in the evening!

@Wyorp Rock i had a little look at the canister for the louse powder and it doesn't list the ingredients which is a bit frustrating!

@theuglychick I clean out all of the old shavings in the house and nest boxes once a week but I haven't been spraying the house. I put powder in once I've put their fresh bedding in but I will start spraying before hand and hopefully that will help!

I wonder if I need to do anything outside of the house? They have a large pen, But they are always in there as I don't have another run to alternate with. There are a lot of wild birds eating up all they're food at the moment which I'm sure isn't helping...

@Hen Pen Jem if possible I would like the keep things as natural as possible! Do you make your own wood ash burning logs or do you buy it?

@EggSighted4Life is permethrin something I'll be able to find outside of the US? (I'm in the U.K)

Luckily most of my hens are quite friendly so I don't have to chase them around, but I do have one hen, Bunty who is a nightmare to catch so I will definitely try and get her in the evening!

@Wyorp Rock i had a little look at the canister for the louse powder and it doesn't list the ingredients which is a bit frustrating!

Hello J.D.,
Yes, I save the wood ash from our fireplace in a plastic bucket, though out the Winter. I tried to buy it online, but the price was ridiculous.

You also need to put the Nu-Stock ointment, because any mites or lice will make their way to the head to get away from the ash.
Here are the ingredients in case you have to use something comparable.

Sulfur 73%
Pine Oil 2%
Mineral Oil 25%

This is a very strong product so use just a tiny dab, or dilute in some petrolatum ointment. That's what I did for one of my youngest hen's.

My Grandma told me toss Wood Ash in coop.
Put wood ash Anywhere they dust.
Said Ash dries the lil bugs out.
Got to keep vigilant on the lives life cycle.

I used Wood Ash and 7dust in the chickens Dust bathes.
No mites No lice..2months later.
7dust has not hurt any of my birds. Trust me I'd know if they got sick!

Back
Top Bottom