Lice AGAIN, please help!

I've read on here that some people have used Adams Flea and Tick spray with success. I've personally never tried it. You might search that and see what you can find out. Sorry you're going through this! Good luck!

Thank you. I will probably try it simply because I haven't had luck using any kind of dusting method, and it also sounds much easier to do than dusting all my hens. I'm looking around forums and wondering two things now - the first is do you have to reapply Adams Flea and Tick spray in 10 days like you do the Sevin? And can I use it on young chicks?

If I were you.......... I would buy LIQUID Sevin, put it in a sprayer (diluted according to directions). Completely clean out your coop of all bedding - being sure to DISPOSE of the bedding - like in a plastic bag and off it goes with the garbage. Then spray the daylights out of the entire coop getting into all cracks, crevices, etc. Let it dry thoroughly before lightly dusting the area with Sevin dust. Replace the bedding. Dust each chicken individually using your finger to get the dust up on their heads as well and put them in the coop one by one as you get done. Put dust in their dustbaths as well. Repeat in 10 days.

That being said... all of this will only be of temporary help if you're close to a neighbor who's birds have lice or if your chickens are again exposed to wild birds that have it.

Whew, all that sounds like a ton of work but I am willing to do anything at this point! I'm tired of finding lice at every monthly inspection. My chickens do free range but they shouldn't be coming into contact with wild birds any more than anyone else's chickens... They do tend to eat the seeds that the wild birds scatter below the hanging bird feeders though. They hang out around there a lot. Could they be getting the lice there?

I have used Ivermectin pour on for cattle. The box says use 1ml (same as 1cc) per 22 lbs of body weight. Divide that up and you have 1/4cc per 5lb bird....Yes, it does kill external parasites, lice and mites....

Hope this helps, those things are horrible...
sickbyc.gif

I have used Ivermectin pour on for cattle. The box says use 1ml (same as 1cc) per 22 lbs of body weight. Divide that up and you have 1/4cc per 5lb bird....Yes, it does kill external parasites, lice and mites....

Hope this helps, those things are horrible...
sickbyc.gif
I have some of that, used it for worming a few months back. Do you need to re-dose after 10 days it or is it a one-time thing?

I didn't....I might try using Ivermec the first round and 10 days later using the 7....That would knock out the major infestation the first time and then 7 could probably take out the fresh hatched eggs...

I wanted to let everyone know that I tried Adams Flea and Tick spray and it worked like a dream!! I sprayed generous amounts on my chickens and around the inside of the coop and nesting areas, then repeated in 10 days. I never saw ANY sign of lice ever again after that (and it's been months!).

If I had sturdy lice like that, I use sevin dust now. But I would switch to 1x Sevin dust, a week later, 1x Poultry dust. And repeat every 3-4 weeks till gone.

I am also having a lice issue. (as well as worms!!) I searched for the Adams Flea and Tick spray and found a few different kinds. can you tell me which king you are usrd. I am so grossed out by the whole bug/worm thing... yuk!!

Back
Top Bottom