Lice and Broody

Corey NC

Songster
12 Years
Mar 28, 2007
North Carolina
I just found out my chickens have some lice problems. I am going to put sevin dust on them all tonight and agian a week from today.

I do have a broody hen sitting on eggs, is it safe to dust her? Will it harm the eggs (a week and a 1/2 old)?

I do not have any access to DE or else I'd use that.

Any tips on getting rid of lice?

Corey,
I just did a search using the words 'mites on broody'. The first entry came up with an answer to your question.
Sorry, I don't know how to put the link here.

Last edited:
I don't think it would hurt the eggs, since they're contained, but your hen may object to being powdered.
tongue.png

This came up with me the other day and my sick rooster. I found a mite on him and worried about my girls in the pen. I spoke with a poultry science lady by phone about dusting with Sevin and told her I had a broody with eggs about to hatch (actually hatched 7 yesterday) and she said definitely wait until they're born and remove them from the pen while dusting. She didn't exactly tell me why but that was her opinion.

Good luck!

I would take the hen off and dust her. Wait about an hour before you let her go back on. This about how long my broodies stay off while eating anyways.

The problem is seven dust is not always effective on lice. I had to start spraying with permecthrin.

Matt

I buy it in a concentrated form and mix what I need. I think it was 2 tablespoons per gal or something like that. It is all on the label for each kind of animal.

I mix it a pint at a time and use a spray bottle unless I am spraying ALOT of birds. Then I use a 1.5 gal sprayer. I spray around the vent, under each wing, on the back, and the chest. I make sure to get to the skin in each location.

Last year I even used it on some 3 week old chicks that were with a hen. They all had lice and the dust wasn't working. Lice can suck babies dry in a hurry, so I didn't have a choice. All were fine.

Always do a follow up spraying 10 days later.

It can be mixed as a dip for birds and/or dogs.

Do not use it on cats. Cats can have a bad reaction to it.

Matt

I would check your feed stores. I get it at my local feed store(Belle Farm). It is not cheap, but it lasts a LONG time.

Product name is "permectrin II"

Matt

Back
Top Bottom