Lice and Mites

Southern28Chick

Flew The Coop
12 Years
Apr 16, 2007
Where do poultry lice and mites come from??? I have completely killed all the lice that my roo had, but I want to make sure they don't come back. Do they come from the ground? Are my birds safe now that I killed them all?

K state university has a good site on mites...most mites come from wild game or birds..i.e...sparrows and other birds that come in contact with your flock.Permitherin or carbarnal are fine to use on them as a preventative.When in dought D/e them several times a year.

Is DE in their feed ok or should I dust their bodies every once in a while? I find DE dries out skin very badly. Well, from the multiple dustings I've done to my poor roo it dried his skin out til it was blood red.

I would dust them also, just to be safe. I know it's impossible to keep those little wild birds away, but if there is a way to keep their food someplace out of reach (like in the coop?), do that also.
Ivermectin cattle drop on wormer will take care of roundworms, lungworms, a bunch of other worms, and lice/mites. If you're ok with using wormer, drop .25cc on their backs (make sure it gets to their skin) twice a year. That will take care of those little suckers for sure! If you do that, you don't have to dust.

I found little bugs hidding on the beams of the coop. I want to try De and to make sure that I don't get them back. I don't see any egg sacks or anything but the thought of the bugs creeps me out. I have given my chickens garlic and ACV. I hope that will be fine till the weekend. How much do you need to dust. I am all freeked out. Any help how you handle it would be great.
I also have 2 meat birds ready for slaughter and I didn't want to give them stuff that would affect the meat. My birds are not laying either they are broody or too young. I just want the bugs gone. Tiny brownish ones. I see them in the morning. I tried spraying with vinegar and dusting with baking soda. Any help would be great. I only just started raising chickens in June. I don't want this bug thing to end my desire to have chickens.

According to my vet .10cc of the Ivermectin is enough to do a cat. Thus a good dose for a full size chicken. It does work, but those little egg clusters will persist until washed and removed or the bird molts.

Quote:
DE works great in bedding, dusting areas, and on birds (and fed to birds)...but it's hard to get a good coating on beams.

I use Orange Guard (orange oil) - recently available at all Ace Hardware Stores (in my store it's completely out of sight on the very top shelf in the insectiside section). I spray all wood in my coop with Orange Oil...if it has the dark oily look it's all good...if it looks dried out...I know it's time for another coat.

Good LUck
Sandra

Back
Top Bottom