Lice help šŸ¤¢

UltimateElektra

In the Brooder
Oct 7, 2023
My beautiful lavender orpington has lice.

I noticed she was not roosting with the girls 2 nights ago. Yesterday when i let them out of the coop she did not join them. I noticed she had a slightly messy bum so i inspected her and saw an obvious louse crawling. I dont see many eggs yet so i caught early, but she did not eat hardly anything if anything at all yesterday. I did put food and water inside the coop for her today and gave her some poultry cell with a syringe and some water.

I have a neighbor who is going to give me some Elector PSP but they wont be around until this weekend. I see Gardstar, Garden & Poultry Dust with Permethrin in it. Has anyone used it? Recommend it? I dont think she can wait until I get the Elector PSP on Sat. If you dont, anything i can get at TSC to help her today?

The poultry dust is fine, it's more commonly used as it's less expensive than the elector. I wouldn't wait either, at least use the dust now, and follow up with the elector when you get it. The elector would be good to use in the coop. If you put the dust in an old sock or stocking you can kind of pounce it on her, or some use a condiment bottle with a squirt tip to squirt the powder, you need to get it down to her skin all over at the base of the feathers. More on treatment options here:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification/
Sometime lice will find a bird that is sick with something else, so once you treat for the lice, I would keep an eye on her, make sure droppings look good, give her a good going over to make sure nothing else is going on. Check crop function, see if she's starting molt, or having any laying issues (how old is she?), make sure she's eating and drinking, etc.

Lice, unless a chicken has an extremely heavy infestation for a long period shouldn't cause a chicken to be sick as lice do not suck the blood as mites do. Lice feed on dead skin and feather dander.

I would be concerned something else is going on with this hen besides lice. As @coach723 mentioned, a chicken whose immune system is under attack by another health issue can be susceptible to these external parasites. Can you describe other symptoms? How long has she been acting lethargic? Is she laying? If so, when was the last egg? What is your location and climate?

I've used Elector PSP to treat lice, and I mixed it up in a spray bottle and saturated the skin everywhere I saw lice, including around the neck, under the wings and the vent area. The lice were killed and never came back.

The poultry dust is fine, it's more commonly used as it's less expensive than the elector. I wouldn't wait either, at least use the dust now, and follow up with the elector when you get it. The elector would be good to use in the coop. If you put the dust in an old sock or stocking you can kind of pounce it on her, or some use a condiment bottle with a squirt tip to squirt the powder, you need to get it down to her skin all over at the base of the feathers. More on treatment options here:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification/
Sometime lice will find a bird that is sick with something else, so once you treat for the lice, I would keep an eye on her, make sure droppings look good, give her a good going over to make sure nothing else is going on. Check crop function, see if she's starting molt, or having any laying issues (how old is she?), make sure she's eating and drinking, etc.
She is about 5-6 months old (bought her at an auction so not 100% on her age at purchase but she was at least 2 months). Not laying yet. She def didnt eat much yesterday her crop was empty at bedtime. She will be getting some scrambled eggs today and some more water by syringe. Her poo from what i can tell was not bloody and worms that i can see.

I'm gonna dust her as soon as im home today.

Thank you

Lice, unless a chicken has an extremely heavy infestation for a long period shouldn't cause a chicken to be sick as lice do not suck the blood as mites do. Lice feed on dead skin and feather dander.

I would be concerned something else is going on with this hen besides lice. As @coach723 mentioned, a chicken whose immune system is under attack by another health issue can be susceptible to these external parasites. Can you describe other symptoms? How long has she been acting lethargic? Is she laying? If so, when was the last egg? What is your location and climate?

I've used Elector PSP to treat lice, and I mixed it up in a spray bottle and saturated the skin everywhere I saw lice, including around the neck, under the wings and the vent area. The lice were killed and never came back.
She is just lethargic, not eating, comb doent look too pale, slightly poopy butt. Noticed 3 days ago she didnt roost with her flock, hasnt been, she slept in the nest box the last few nights. But only noticed her not eating or leaving the coop yesterday.

Not laying yet, about 5-6 mths old. Live in RI so weather is starting to get cold.

What else could be making her sick? No signs of cocci, no worms (i can see) in her or anyones poop. Crop isnt full...

You won't usually see worms in poop. Isolate her for the next several hours so you will be able to observe her and gwt a photo of her poop.
I have only just gotten home. She is isolated now but hasnt pooped.

Just gave her another through inspection. Comb is not pale. She is just standing and laying with her eyes closed. Checked both eyes, inside her mouth, both feet, she feels skinny so idk how long its been since she really ate a lot. Cant be more then 2-3 days. I hawk my girls.

All i see is the lice. Ill add a photo of poop as soon as she makes one. I have safeguard on hand, maybe i should just dose her?

You won't usually see worms in poop. Isolate her for the next several hours so you will be able to observe her and gwt a photo of her poop.

Attachments

• 20231114_181145.jpg
    20231114_181145.jpg
    306.6 KB · Views: 12

Back
Top Bottom