Lice mites or something else please help

sjthawk

In the Brooder
Dec 13, 2016
I have two Jersey Giants that have had these bare patches on their backs for a long time I thought they were just losing feathers in the spring but it's been almost a month and a half now not growing back I did a deep clean of the coop inspect them and don't see anything on them what could cause these two chickens to have this bear patch my other 15 don't have this
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20180507_193412.jpg
    IMG_20180507_193412.jpg
    342.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20180507_193349.jpg
    IMG_20180507_193349.jpg
    388.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20180507_193322.jpg
    IMG_20180507_193322.jpg
    362.2 KB · Views: 11
Give them some coconut oil for feather growth, maybe a tsp a day? And if you put a pinch of cayenne pepper in her/his water every other time u change it, that kills parasites (or its supposed to).

I have two Jersey Giants that have had these bare patches on their backs for a long time I thought they were just losing feathers in the spring but it's been almost a month and a half now not growing back I did a deep clean of the coop inspect them and don't see anything on them what could cause these two chickens to have this bear patch my other 15 don't have this
Thanks
Do you have a rooster?

Give them some coconut oil for feather growth, maybe a tsp a day? And if you put a pinch of cayenne pepper in her/his water every other time u change it, that kills parasites (or its supposed to).
How do I give them the coconut oil

How much space do you have?

Take time to observe your flock, the location of the missing feathers looks like it's from being mounted or plucked. Even if you don't have a rooster, sometimes a top tier hen will mount lower hens as a sign of dominance.

How long have you had the two JG? Did they come to you with feather loss?

I agree with Micstrachan and Wyorp Rock that it looks like feather picking if you do not have a rooster. Boredom, too little protein in the diet, or overcrowding can lead to feather picking, vent pecking, and cannibalism. Do you let the, out to free range daily? What do you feed them? You might try supplimenting some high protein gamebird starter or switch to a Flock Raiser feed.

The feathers will probably grow back in on the bare patches when they go through their next big molt. How old are they exactly? When my hens were overbread by my young rooster their fisrt year, I made some one piece no sew hen saddles out of polar fleece for them to wear to prevent sunburn and further pecking.

Back
Top Bottom