Lice/ Mites

sadiemartin

Chirping
May 13, 2021
Hello! I have just realized that my flock has a mild case of lice and mites. I see the lice “nits” or egg sacs. I’m new to both of these because I’ve never experienced bugs on my chickens before. I noticed that the lice is worse on my polish & bearded polish. I see the sacs but I barely see any lice / mites. I saw a couple on each bird, some dark brown then white bugs. Then some white flakes in their feathers.
Yesterday I put a drop of ivermectin on the back of their neck and then one drop under each wing- 3 total. (Onto the skin)
I have mostly bantams- Cochins, frizzle Cochins, polish, silkie and one OEGB chick. Some of the Polish are regular size but are all still growing.
I’ve researched and found that ivermectin treats mites and not lice but on the other hand I’ve read that ivermectin treats lice as well??
If you have had experience with this please comment your advice below !

We bathe out birds and use permitheren on the coop and birds (when they're dry). I honestly can't tell the difference between lice and mites (they sound and look the same to me), but my method does seem to at least keep the numbers down

Most people use products with permethrin in them, there are many on the market. You can also use Elector PSP, it's purported to work with one treatment, but it is much more expensive. If you have mites then you have to treat the birds and the coop, or they will just keep coming back. Usually you need to do at least 3 times at weekly intervals to get any that continue to hatch (the permethrin kills the live bugs but not the eggs). You have to remove all bedding and nesting material from the coop and discard (burn if possible), spray the coop getting all nooks and crannies, replace bedding with fresh. You can put some sticky tape around the ends of roosts sticky side up and then check it in the morning. You should find some stuck to it if you have them, some mites only come out at night to feed on the roosting birds.
More info and pictures for ID here:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification/

Hello! I have just realized that my flock has a mild case of lice and mites. I see the lice “nits” or egg sacs. I’m new to both of these because I’ve never experienced bugs on my chickens before. I noticed that the lice is worse on my polish & bearded polish. I see the sacs but I barely see any lice / mites. I saw a couple on each bird, some dark brown then white bugs. Then some white flakes in their feathers.
Yesterday I put a drop of ivermectin on the back of their neck and then one drop under each wing- 3 total. (Onto the skin)
I have mostly bantams- Cochins, frizzle Cochins, polish, silkie and one OEGB chick. Some of the Polish are regular size but are all still growing.
I’ve researched and found that ivermectin treats mites and not lice but on the other hand I’ve read that ivermectin treats lice as well??
If you have had experience with this please comment your advice below !
Permethrin dust. You should dust them with repirator masks. I did it 4 times every 3 days not sure how others did it but that worked for me. Try doing vent area and wings

Back
Top Bottom