Lice On Chickens

Sorry for the confusion. The bottom picture is a picture of the same louse, just not under a magnifying glass. I have had chickens with mites before, but I got rid of them along with the chickens. These silkies just have lice if that is what is in the picture, and if I would have known that before I got them, I wouldn't have. I have not found any permethrin dust, just liquid. So if I am not able to get rid of the lice by the end of this week, would y'all suggest that I raise the chicks myself?

Sorry for the confusion. The bottom picture is a picture of the same louse, just not under a magnifying glass. I have had chickens with mites before, but I got rid of them along with the chickens. These silkies just have lice if that is what is in the picture, and if I would have known that before I got them, I wouldn't have. I have not found any permethrin dust, just liquid. So if I am not able to get rid of the lice by the end of this week, would y'all suggest that I raise the chicks myself?

That is a louse. Some might be redder than other because some do feed on blood. For those of you that like experiments, treat your birds that have lice with permethrin, place in box on white paper towels, wait 30 minutes, come back and squish the various lice like you would a flea and you'll see that some have trace amounts of blood in them, just like an engorged flea will have.

@silkie1472 , I enlarged both of your pictures so everyone can see that both pictures are of a louse.

Picture #1

Picture #2

For those that have a hard time viewing smaller pictures, next time hold your mouse over the image and do a "right click - open in new window". That will give you a much larger image of the picture.

-Kathy

Last edited:
Thanks @casportpony. I said that I was not able to find permethrin dust, but I was just able to find prozap garden and poultry dust on amazon and ordered it. It had good reviews and contains permethrin. Do y'all think that this was a good decision?

I actually bring pics into a photo program, lighten them and zoom in.

Prozap garden and poultry dust should work just fine.

Last edited:
Thanks @casportpony. I said that I was not able to find permethrin dust, but I was just able to find prozap garden and poultry dust on amazon and ordered it. It had good reviews and contains permethrin. Do y'all think that this was a good decision?
Prozap is perfect!

-Kathy

Great. That is the exact one that I ordered.

Just one more question: How do I treat them? I am going to change the bedding, but what about the broody hen that is due next week? Will it hurt her eggs/chicks? I have never done this before.

Just one more question: How do I treat them? I am going to change the bedding, but what about the broody hen that is due next week? Will it hurt her eggs/chicks? I have never done this before.
Start by putting some on her vent and under each wing and see if that treats them. I have used this powder on chicks, so I think they will be fine.
big_smile.png

-Kathy

I hold them upside down, by their legs, and sprinkle some on their butts then work it in with my fingers.

Back
Top Bottom