Lice or Mites???

I used seven dust also, it worked great, I even had to dust my 4 day old chicks and their mom and they were not bothered at all by it. I would definately dust the mom sitting on the eggs, so when the babies are born they do not get covered by mites. Also if she will let you, I would clean her nest bedding and throw the infested stuff away. I hear that the pyrethrin spray is not good for chicks, or to put on hens that have babies that will hide in ther feathers to get warm, because the spray will rub off on them. Hope this helps a tiny bit!

We grab them, then get ahold of their legs and flip them upside down. They struggle a little bit, then usually just hang there. It does not take much, and do not get it in their face.
I usually do the whole bird up to the base of the head, and rub/fluff it in a little.

Hi, Thank you for all of your advice. I was able to find DE at the local feed store, so I dusted the coop today. One of the eggs also hatched today. Do you think it will be ok to dust the chick and its mom, even though it's only a day old?

Also, how long before DE starts working?

Thank you
smile.png

I believe I read in another post that the DE starts to work in a couple of days....to where it starts to kill the parasites.

Back
Top Bottom