Lice or other bugs in straw for bedding

Could feed garlic, cucumber (the seeds are most valuable), pumpkin seeds, mustard greens. DE needs to be used carefully but can be done. Feeding them DE does worm just gotta make sure it's mixed in. Fall is coming and those pumpkin seeds are a valuable de-wormer as is the pumpkin itself could get a nice deal and prep/freeze it for use later. A festive coop is a nice thing.
DE is ineffective as soon as it gets wet. Heck, it's ineffective dry and used as directed.

If your chickens or ducks have worms, do not waste your time and theirs by trying to tickle the parasite's bellies. Kill them with effective proven treatments.

I have great success with DE and yes it is less effective wet but it's not a waste of money if it works for you. I have success and vet checks so feeding and gentle application exterior works but hey to each his own. I do food grade and it's natural then again I'm pro personal choice as long as the animal is healthy. I won't bash others opinions though I will say DE has lots of studies that prove it works but hey what do I know I've worked with it for years and helped others do theirs per their instructions. I do herbs, foods and natural then again I am with a lot of organic raising people and helped a lot with them who have done it for years. DE and natural remedies work if they are done right. Again I won't debate or bash I use veterinarian medicine if it needs it but if I'm passing fecal tests and my birds are getting good check ups (yes I do check ups) by choice and consult my vet (pretty nice to get free advice imo) and I made it clear that I'm going to do holistic and if it isn't working I would use whatever they suggest. I'm supported and the people that I am modeling off of have been live long holistic so to each his own. Do what works for your situation. I reapply as needed and it works. Remember different strokes work for different folks. Think pioneers used veterinary medicine like we have today they used pumpkin and other naturally occurring things or had a loss. It's all relative on the experience each person wants. I honestly hope that whatever path you take works and the birds are healthy. I wish nothing but the best for any situation and any outcome that results in happy healthy birds and happy owners.

*Edit addition: I forgot to say that I was suggesting pumpkin, mustard greens etc as other options in my second post for natural dewormers and I'm sorry onaharley I wanted to clarify a bit on DE for another poster and stand by throwing in a pumpkin or other natural goodies for parasite control doesn't have to be DE, just as long as your flock is happy. Again sorry I went a bit on a free choice (for DE or other parasite control) vent and realize I should have just let it be.

Last edited:
I have great success with DE and yes it is less effective wet but it's not a waste of money if it works for you. I have success and vet checks so feeding and gentle application exterior works but hey to each his own. I do food grade and it's natural then again I'm pro personal choice as long as the animal is healthy. I won't bash others opinions though I will say DE has lots of studies that prove it works but hey what do I know I've worked with it for years and helped others do theirs per their instructions. I do herbs, foods and natural then again I am with a lot of organic raising people and helped a lot with them who have done it for years. DE and natural remedies work if they are done right. Again I won't debate or bash I use veterinarian medicine if it needs it but if I'm passing fecal tests and my birds are getting good check ups (yes I do check ups) by choice and consult my vet (pretty nice to get free advice imo) and I made it clear that I'm going to do holistic and if it isn't working I would use whatever they suggest. I'm supported and the people that I am modeling off of have been live long holistic so to each his own. Do what works for your situation. I reapply as needed and it works. Remember different strokes work for different folks. Think pioneers used veterinary medicine like we have today they used pumpkin and other naturally occurring things or had a loss. It's all relative on the experience each person wants. I honestly hope that whatever path you take works and the birds are healthy. I wish nothing but the best for any situation and any outcome that results in happy healthy birds and happy owners.

*Edit addition: I forgot to say that I was suggesting pumpkin, mustard greens etc as other options in my second post for natural dewormers and I'm sorry onaharley I wanted to clarify a bit on DE for another poster and stand by throwing in a pumpkin or other natural goodies for parasite control doesn't have to be DE, just as long as your flock is happy. Again sorry I went a bit on a free choice (for DE or other parasite control) vent and realize I should have just let it be.
No worries! It’s good to talk out loud about what is good for you and your flock. I like 1st hand experiences, to take it all in and form a plan that works me and my circumstances. I’m not discrediting anyone for they do. All advice giving is highly appreciated and taken in with much thought process. We all just want to help and share based on what works for us!

I use straw in the winter as it's more insulating than shavings. But, the rest of the year I use shavings. I use a nice soft shaving and it's easy enough to sift out poos.

Have you found a lot of critters in the straw or just a few? I guess if its stored outdoors (even in a barn), its bound to pick something up. If you can exchange it, then that might be your best bet. But, harvesting anything from a field will pick up some bugs and maybe things you've never thought about. My husband has told stories of finding snake rattles in fresh cut hay bales. :eek:I'd definitely ask for a refund then. 😆

Last edited:
DE is ineffective as soon as it gets wet. Heck, it's ineffective dry and used as directed.

If your chickens or ducks have worms, do not waste your time and theirs by trying to tickle the parasite's bellies. Kill them with effective proven treatments.
I get what you’re saying. And yes it’s good to get ahead of a problem before it becomes really big problem. My flock goes regularly (probably more even then need be to the vet)
I use straw in the winter as it's more insulating than shavings. But, the rest of the year I use shavings. I use a nice soft shaving and it's easy enough to sift out poos.

Have you found a lot of critters in the straw or just a few? I guess if its stored outdoors (even in a barn), its bound to pick something up. If you can exchange it, then that might be your best bet. But, harvesting anything from a field will pick up some bugs and maybe things you've never thought about. My husband has told stories of finding snake rattles in fresh cut hay bales. :eek:I'd definitely ask for a refund then. 😆
I haven’t seen anything since, not on the ducks, nit on feathers, and I left the white face on the straw bales and hadn’t seen anything. Honestly I’m thinking it’s booklice/barklice. Our summer has been hot and humid here in Michigan. I still plan to return it and delouse the shed as an added precaution. My pen is an all weather pen: meaning all weather eliminates will get inside it(to a certain extent) sand floor and wrapped in plastic in the winter. I need the straw more for in the winter but do use it year round for feet protection. Sand is abrasive on those webs. I will also talk with my vet next weekend about this too, to get her thoughts! Thank you for post, it’s greatly appreciated

Back
Top Bottom