Lice preventitive?

Pics
It's overkill to use dust or spray and Ivermectin on the birds. Ivermectin is effective for lice/mites. Since you've administered the Ivermectin, repeat in 14 days.

For housing, use your dust or spray. You can try putting the dust in the sand to see if that helps, but also don't forget surfaces like roosting bars/nesting boxes, etc.

It's overkill to use dust or spray and Ivermectin on the birds. Ivermectin is effective for lice/mites. Since you've administered the Ivermectin, repeat in 14 days.

For housing, use your dust or spray. You can try putting the dust in the sand to see if that helps, but also don't forget surfaces like roosting bars/nesting boxes, etc.
Ok, good to know the ivermectin is indeed that effective. The dust sounds like the ticket for the coop.

So I sprayed down the small coop with the permethrin liquid mix. I noticed on my other SF roo, who is in a different coop with no contact with the other coops, that he also had lice and some eggs, but he doesn't seem to have as many and his girls had none that I could find. They are missing quite a few feathers but that seems more to mating than anything else. Either way, they all got ivermectin drops today and I will try to spray down their coop tomorrow or Thursday. My questions now are, is it normal for chickens to have SOME lice, or no? And, for dust baths, will regular, non playground sand be abrasive enough to keep lice in check, or should I add something else?

Back
Top Bottom