Lice preventitive?

Pics

Trevorusn

Crowing
Apr 15, 2019
New Hampshire
I had to put down one of my SF hens today, its been rough, 2 SF hens gone in a week. On some of the scabs by the necrotic skin that the vet removed, she found lice under the scabs eating the skin. She was inside seperated from my other birds since mid July, however I have two roos that shared the downstairs area with her. All are in their own crates, but I think I might treat the 2 roos and her 3 remaining flockmates for lice to be safe. I have ivermectin from TSC, the topical form in the red and yellow box. My questions are, how many drops per bird, and for how long? Also, should I use permethrin dust on the birds at the same time? And is the dust a one and done process or does it take several treatments? Thanks. Also, I notice the roo in her flock is dropping feathers, which makes me think either he may have lice that I haven't spotted yet or he is prepping for molting. No bare patches, just lots of various feathers.

I'd treat them all, Coop and run also...and repeat. There are good articles and vids on this process. I wouldn't use poison, especially on open wounds.
Poison?? No open wounds on the 5 I am looking to treat. Ivermectin and permethrin are great for parasites, I just need to know dosage, how long to use it for, and if both can be used on birds at the same time.

@Wyorp Rock
There is a lot of info, but it tends to be scattered and sometimes a bit much to try to piece together, hence the post. I have looked into it, but haven't found exact answers.
I am right there with you. I purchased a large bottle of Ivermectin injectable (pricey stuff :-( that I will use orally if I ever feel safe enough to use it) to use for lice. I received the dosing instructions but now I'm a bit worried because the information out there is so back and forth and I don't know what to believe. Which articles are reliable and proven, and which ones are hearsay. So confusing. Best wishes with your flock. I'm so sorry for your loss. That's a difficult thing to go through, especially if your birds are pets. I'll be following to learn with you. I'll tag a couple of the many knowledgeable folks here.
@Wyorp Rock @azygous @Eggcessive @Overo Mare @aart @MysteryChicken

Edited to add that I purchased a bottle of Elector PSP and I believe it works well but it's a PITB to keep mixed while using it, especially since I make up smaller sized batches so I'm not tempted to try to save ~ I don't think it's any good if it's mixed before a few hours of using it

@Wyorp Rock

I am right there with you. I purchased a large bottle of Ivermectin injectable (pricey stuff :-( that I will use orally if I ever feel safe enough to use it) to use for lice. I received the dosing instructions but now I'm a bit worried because the information out there is so back and forth and I don't know what to believe. Which articles are reliable and proven, and which ones are hearsay. So confusing. Best wishes with your flock. I'm so sorry for your loss. That's a difficult thing to go through, especially if your birds are pets. I'll be following to learn with you. I'll tag a couple of the many knowledgeable folks here.
@Wyorp Rock @azygous @Eggcessive @Overo Mare @aart @MysteryChicken
I've never used Ivermectin so, I won't be any help here.
I do use Poultry Protector, it's an all natural lice, & mite killer, & repellent.

Back
Top Bottom