Lice preventitive?

These are the products I keep on hand and only use if necessary. They both can be found at TSC. I use the dust on my tomatoes and peppers too to keep tomato worms away (safe to use up until day of harvest). The liquid can be diluted according to how you need to use it. I used it to effectively keep carpenter bees from drilling holes in the coops. Both are very good at preventing anything with an exoskeleton from doing harm, so use carefully and follow label directions to avoid killing insects you don't want to.

permethrin.jpg

You can't really prevent lice, other than keep wild birds and rodents away from your birds.
inspect them regularly, keep permethrin dust ans spray on hand to treat if you find some.

Did the vet give you their finding of the cause of death?
How old are the chickens?
My questions too.

On some of the scabs by the necrotic skin that the vet removed, she found lice under the scabs eating the skin.
So did vet do a complete necropsy and send samples to lab?
What kind of louse did she find in scabs?
What was necrotic skin from?
Is this an avian vet?

I'm sorry for your loss.
Did the vet give you their finding of the cause of death?
How old are the chickens?

You've asked twice in this thread about dose of Ivermectin Pour On, here it is :
Pour On dosing is 0.09ml per pound of weight. Apply to skin along the base of the neck (must come into contact with skin). Repeat in 14 days.
Do some research to determine what withdrawal period you are most comfortable with.

Lice can also be treated with Permethrin based poultry sprays or dusts - these can be found in stores like Tractor Supply. Repeat treatment of Permethrin in 7 day intervals. Treat birds, clean out housing and treat it as well.

Elector PSP is another option - mix according to directions. It's expensive, but effective.
My one SF died suddenly, and doing a necropsy is expensive here in NH, and even the vet office had to look up the procedure on how to do it. This hen was about 1.5-almost 2 years old. The 2nd one was almost 1.5 years old, she came out of state. She was euthanized as she came down with several issues, including necrotic skin and internal damage as indicated by ulcering on her semi-prolapsed vent and clear drippings from her vent. The lice were I believe were body lice, as they were found under her scabs the vet removed.

You can't really prevent lice, other than keep wild birds and rodents away from your birds.
inspect them regularly, keep permethrin dust ans spray on hand to treat if you find some.

My questions too.

So did vet do a complete necropsy and send samples to lab?
What kind of louse did she find in scabs?
What was necrotic skin from?
Is this an avian vet?
It is an office with 2 avian vets, took some searching to find them. The lice were tan, flattish and visible, which I believe are body lice, and the vet found them under the scabs. My one SF hen died suddenly, and a necropsy up here isn't cheap, she was a bit slow that morning but otherwise healthy, just for me to come home from work to find her with a purple comb and face and barely moving. The other SF hen that the vet looked at we had euthenized due to several issues seemingly going on. The vet had no clue what caused the necrotic skin, and we were able to reduce a good amount through a 10 day med regimen, but my little girl was dripping clear fluid from her semi prolapsed vent, and some patches of necrotic skin were not shrinking so the vet couldn't discern how deep the dead tissue went and if there was internal damage. That hen did start laying again this week, which may have caused her vent to begin prolapsing. The vet also noted some strange markings or ulcerations developing on the vent. Her comb however was vibrant red, and she looked healthy and was active but not gaining weight.

I will say, in this past 1.5 years of poultry raising we have encountered a HUGE amount of medical issues, and never the same one twice. However, these are the first two we couldn't really help, and both were Faverolles, one hatchery and one from an outstanding breeder. Its so strange, however on my last remaining SF hen, who had a a nasty poop butt problem too, we used Corid as soon as the one hen died and her poop butt has practically vanished. Could lice and coccidiosis together have caused such drastic issues??

For the ivermectin, do I use the pour on or the injectibile one topically on chickens? I have Durvet pour on, should I get the injectionable one instead?

For the ivermectin, do I use the pour on or the injectibile one topically on chickens? I have Durvet pour on, should I get the injectionable one instead?

You've asked twice in this thread about dose of Ivermectin Pour On, here it is :
Pour On dosing is 0.09ml per pound of weight. Apply to skin along the base of the neck (must come into contact with skin). Repeat in 14 days.
Do some research to determine what withdrawal period you are most comfortable with.

Lice can also be treated with Permethrin based poultry sprays or dusts - these can be found in stores like Tractor Supply. Repeat treatment of Permethrin in 7 day intervals. Treat birds, clean out housing and treat it as well.

Elector PSP is another option - mix according to directions. It's expensive, but effective.

Ahh, thanks. I've been reading tons this morning from multiple sites, and someone said the pour on was too much and the injectible one was what to use topically for chickens. This is why I have been a bit confused as to exactly what and how much of what I need to get.

Ahh, thanks. I've been reading tons this morning from multiple sites, and someone said the pour on was too much and the injectible one was what to use topically for chickens. This is why I have been a bit confused as to exactly what and how much of what I need to get.
The Pour On and Injectable are both Ivermectin - just different ways to apply/administer. You already have Pour On, so use it.

Well, the SF roo in the coop they formerly resided in has lice. I treated the 5 with ivermectin and Poultry Protector spray, several little sprays on the back, stomach, vent, and under each wing for all of them. The coop has sand for the main area and pine shavings and PDZ for the egg boxes. Do I need to dump the sand or, being inorganic, is it ok to leave? What else should I do? The two fellas just had their crates deep cleaned last Sunday, can the lice spread from one chicken to me to another chicken? Or do the chickens have to be physically touching for bird to bird infestation?

Back
Top Bottom