Lice problem- help!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by dappertophatter, Nov 3, 2009.

1. dappertophatter

dappertophatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    The Jersey Shore
    [​IMG] I was checking one of the Cochin girls this afternoon, and she has lice!! [​IMG]

We went through battling lice in September, and I thought we got rid of all the nasty little bugs. Apparently not. [​IMG] [​IMG]

I just DE'd the heck out of our mixed flock (all bantams, four Cochins, five White Crested Black Polish), and I also spread DE all over the run & coop. Now that THAT's over with, and after a long hot shower, two questions:

1:We're using 'Safer' brand DE, and I just noticed that the bag says there's bug attractant mixed into the DE. Will this hurt the flock?

2: I couldn't positively ID the louse- it was smallish, I think roundish, and FAST. I gather from the Chicken Health Handbook by Gail Damerow that to get rid of lice I should dust every week for two or three weeks. Are all lice treated the same way, since I can't ID the louse?

Thanks so much for any help! (Mods, please move this if it belongs in Diseases, I wasn't sure)
    Edited for clarity.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2009
  2. Did you use Food grade DE, or try 7dust on the birds esp under the wings and vent area. good luck marrie

3. CreleChick

CreleChick Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    Try Adam's Flea and Tick spray for dogs and cats. Just do a spray on top, bottom and under tail. Also, if you haven't, get some Seven 10% dust. It kills more critters than the 5%.

I had feather mites and lice for a while. I DEd everyone forever and they got the heck chewed out of them and some didn't make it to the show. I switched back to my Seven and it knocked out the buggies. Do make sure you are using the Food Grade DE. It is safe if the birds ingest it. When I was in ag in high school, a friend got pool grade DE. We threw that down and all bugs died lol. Though we never had a problem with the chickens, ducks and turkey and we made the coops look like it snowed. I still recommend food grade!
    Diatomaceous Earth is good for some things, other it is not.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by