Lice right?

Chickstarrs

Crowing
May 6, 2020
Ontario, Canada
So I am guessing this is lice. My hen had several feathers matted like this under each wing. None of the others birds had any. Do I treat them as I would mites?
IMG_7810.JPG

Looks like lice.
What do you use to treat them for mites?
All I have right now is suphur and DE. Still searching for something with permethrin that I can use on the birds and is available in Canada. There are a couple of products that I can order but they do not specify use on chickens.

I have sprayed the coop with melathion (recommended by the feed store owner) although I know many people on BYC don't like it. I got a perimeter spray can from the vet that has permethrin. It is not a very big can but I may try that next. I plan to do another spray after 7 days but still need something for the birds.

It is very frustrating as I have been keeping my coop pretty clean and I only got the birds last June.

All I have right now is suphur and DE. Still searching for something with permethrin that I can use on the birds and is available in Canada. There are a couple of products that I can order but they do not specify use on chickens.

I have sprayed the coop with melathion (recommended by the feed store owner) although I know many people on BYC don't like it. I got a perimeter spray can from the vet that has permethrin. It is not a very big can but I may try that next. I plan to do another spray after 7 days but still need something for the birds.

It is very frustrating as I have been keeping my coop pretty clean and I only got the birds last June.
It is frustrating. The lice comes from wild birds; if you free range or have an open run, they will get lice. Another option is to remove the eggs by hand... while wearing a glove. I know others that will give their poultry a soap bath if they don’t have any permethrin on hand.

Permethrin. Elector PSP will probably work but their fact sheet doesn't mention lice and it's quite expensive compared to permethrin and permethrin works. Most farm and feed stores don't carry Elector but do carry permethrin.
Here is a chart for the different permethrin concentrate solutions. I use the 0.50% solution. Spray weekly for 3 or 4 weeks. There is no egg withdrawal period. I use the poultry dust in the nest boxes. Good luck...
casportponyPermethrinChart.jpg

Attachments

• Permethrin10Concentrate.jpg
    Permethrin10Concentrate.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 4
  • PermethrinSprayRev(2).jpg
    PermethrinSprayRev(2).jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 3
  • Martin'sPen&PoultrySpray.jpg
    Martin'sPen&PoultrySpray.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 4
  • PermethrinSpray.jpg