Lice?

Teresaann24

Songster
11 Years
Jul 29, 2008
Eastern, Kentucky
My broody hen looks rough now sure if its just from being broody or if she has lice. I noticed her thining behind her crest on the back of her neck at closer looks she looks to have little white things on her she is a black silkie so if she gets anything on her you can see it. Does she have lice and if she does how did she get it and how do I treat her?

Always a good idea to dust hen and nest early. If it is, and it sounds like, lice, you have little choice other than dusting now. You didn`t say how far along the clutch is, but a light dusting will minumize the hazard.......Pop

Feel around her comb and see if it is hard and has white stuff on it. If it does your chicken has lice
sad.png

we dust with sevin dust. You can get it at the hardware store and even WalMart. Look at her vent, if she has little tiny bunched up whitish round things at the base of her feathers around the vent, that is lice eggs. Lice are harder to spot because they a re fast, unless she's really infested. Lice are really hard to get rid of. usually, with the infested feather shafts, they will need to be plucked out. All the bedding and nest boxes should be dusted too.

Sevin dust, a very common insecticide. You can buy it a lot of places, feed stores, garden centers, hardware stores, etc. Maybe even the dollar store.

Back
Top Bottom