LICE

MissPrissy said:

I mix DE and sevin dust in the end of a cut off pantyhose foot - to make a little bag. Then I powder puff around the vents and under the wings, etc and powder up the chickens with it. No lice or mites. It is what has always worked for me.

I just posed this question on the "flies" thread ....
sorry to seem annoying, but am trying to get educated.

MissPrissy:
Do you wear a dust mask?
Why do you mix sevin in with the DE?
Do you think the DE alone would be as effective?

I love the "powderpuff" idea. I'd like to lay some in the nest area, but as I said on the "flies" thread, am waiting to see if anyone has had any negative effects on their chickens respiratory (or even on their own human respiratory, too!)

Much thanks,
LeeLee

_____________​

No, I don't wear gloves or a mask. Probably should but I have been using sevin dust as long as I have been gardening and raising chickens and it hasn't hurt me or the chickens that I know of for the past 20+ years. Be careful with it. Don't go out flinging it around and creating a cloud you have to walk through. Wash up good when you finish.

I use sevin when I see something on the chickens. It is has an immediate effect and the lice/mite generally begin to die in a day or so. The DE works but it takes longer for the lice/mites to bleed out and eventually die. I use them mixed together and get a double wammy effect. I do put the DE in the nest boxes and dust bathing box. If I have ever had mites/lice I put the mix in their too.

Something else that will work is to put your fireplace ashes out in their dust bathing area, too. Ash will help keep bugs off of them too.

I use the same technique with sevin in my garden. Walk down the cabbage row with a long panty hose and just bob it up and down and it powders along the row and kills those pesky bugs that leave cabbages looking like swiss cheese.

As it's good to be informed, here's toxicity data for Sevin: http://extoxnet.orst.edu/pips/carbaryl.htm

In
short, it's pretty non-toxic to birds, moderately toxic to mammals and fish, and lethal to insects. It has known short-term effects, including eye and skin burns, but no known long-term effects. It's short-lived in the environment. Overall, it's not terrible as far as insecticides go, but I would wear a mask and gloves, and wash your clothes, body, and hair well afterwards if using it indoors. (that goes for most any pesticide, including many organics)

I keep seeing tea tree oil mentioned- and I used it once a couple of years ago for that reason- and iHad 2 of my cochins die during hte night after I treated them. Now I used way too much probaby , After all it is mild and all natural.I rubbed it on their legs full strength for scaly leg mites ( I hate those nasty things!) and when I opened the building the next morning I had 2 dead cochins-I am afraid to use it again. I think I used it too heavy- but I am just telling you what happened to me.

Every animal seems to have different reactions to things like essential oils and herbs, what is safe for some might not be safe for others. I know it is ok for humans, and have used in balms on dogs and cats, but is why I had wondered if anyone knew about it's use with birds. So sorry to hear that you lost your chickens
sad.png
I will have to explore this further.... maybe there are studies somewhere with the answers.

I rub tea tree oil on my birds shanks and feet every time I show to ward off pests that may hitch a ride from someone else's birds.

I haven't had any adverse reactions.

I am just going through this, a friend had sold me some birds and had bathed them and I saw no lice, yet went to sell some marans yesterday and THEY have it.. last year a friend had told me about ivermectin 1/10 of a cc liquid it kills the lice within hours.. I normally do not use it on anything under 6 months but tried a smaller dose on these guys they are 3 months old, we have DE boxes everywhere but guess they must not be using it enough.. anyhoo will let everyone know how it works
hmm.png

So far so good no one is sick yet will check them several times a day for the next week and see if it wacks all of the lice off
tongue.png

Denna

I probably used too much- I was desperate to rid the cochins of scaly leg mites- in the end I gave up and got rid of the cochins. I still battle the scaly leg mites though but I can get rid of it in the other breeds. Ivermectin worked last year. I guess I will use it again when I run out of vaseline.I am trying to go the lower pesticide route first

Back
Top Bottom