1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    When dusting, you have to redust the chickens 7-10 days later to kill external parasites hatched from eggs. If you dont, you'll have a continual problem with the bugs. You also have to treat coops, nests, roosts in the same manner. I've read that coconut oil will remove lice eggs.

2. leenie

leenie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2009
    Springfield, VA
    Coconut oil will begin to dissolve egg casing on contact. Just saying. . .

3. cochinqueen

cochinqueen New Egg

Jul 29, 2012
    Thx, but I have no idea where to get coconut oil! I think the seven got rid of them anyways.[​IMG]

4. cmsearles

cmsearles New Egg

Nov 7, 2011
    Frontline is only absorbed throught the sebascious glands in the skin and does not go systemic. Eating the eggs should be fine.

5. ChemKelly

ChemKelly Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    I think that Revolution is the most effective, safe and cheapest product out there for lice. Revolution will kill all parasites (mice, lice etc) on chickens within 2 days. I believe it could work for a month or too as well, just like in dogs & cats.

The dosage is around 15mg - 20mg of Selamectin - which is equal to 0.15ml - 0.20ml of Revolution liquid for dogs (cat/puppy tubes are half strength, so double this amount)
    Just put on the bare skin on the back of your chickens neck.

Make sure that you buy the packet for XL dogs (teal coloured packet) as then it's the best value with 2.00ml in each tube.
    A 2.00ml tube will give you 10-15 doses!

6. Barn Mama

Barn Mama Out Of The Brooder

Would this be the same as frontline for cats and dogs? if not could I use flea and tick powder for cats and dogs ......this is my delema...in my area you need a Rx form a vet .....problem is there are no vets in my area that deal with chickens.

7. ChemKelly

ChemKelly Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Revolution and Frontline are different ingredient.
    Frontline contains fipronil and methoprene.
    On further research, both these ingredients have been used in poultry for parasite control with no ill effects.
    So yes you can use Frontline on Poultry.
    The documented dosage is 0.067 mL/kg of Frontline (dog or cat versions)
    Chicken owners don't bother measuring it and just apply 3-4 drops of Frontline to the back of the chickens neck.

8. A HappyHenLover

A HappyHenLover Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2013
    SE Wisconsin
    It's meant to kill, it is not very safe to use on the birds.Use Diatamechas Earth or DE, it's natural. If you eat the eggs after using Sevin, the hens are contaminated and the eggs aren't safe to eat.

9. Barn Mama

Barn Mama Out Of The Brooder

Well I used the frontline and it seemed to work......Thanks![​IMG]

10. ecojoe69

ecojoe69 New Egg

Jul 7, 2012
    Lots of posts about Sevin and permethrin powders. Arent both of those toxic and of concern to anyone trying to be doing this nontoxically?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by