lice!!!

Virgin Coconut Oil (cold pressed) has anti-viral, anti-bacterial, anti-fungal properties...olive oil does not.

Thank you. That 'splains it!
thumbsup.gif

For you folks that used the VCO-- I am just wondering how did you get that to spray? Obviously you had to heat it right? but it sounds like it would still be tricky to use in a sprayer, unless it could stay hot enough...

Someone mentioned bathing using apple cider vinegar in the water-- was that beneficial?

Apparently I have a very bad lice problem that is out of control and I need to fix immediately

VCO goes liquid right around 78 degrees. If the air is warm enough outside it should spray pretty easily. I did warm mine up a bit just so it was "warm" and free flowing.

For an out of control lice problem you need to bring out the big guns, clean out your coop completely bedding included but don't toss the bedding where your chickens can still get into it unless you treat the bedding to kill lice and eggs in it. I used Sevin spray mixed it according to the directions and went in on a warm sunny day after everyone was let out and sprayed the coop from top to bottom making sure to spray into the cracks along the wall and baseboards as good as i could. I used a hand pump garden sprayer. Don't let your birds back in till completely dry and aired out. Then I treated each bird as they came into roost I use Epernix pour on, but there are other treatments poultry dust where you put the whole bird except the head into a bag of some kind and shake to make sure the dust get all over them. Also you can bathe in flea treatment for dogs as long as it's Premetherine [sp] based. One reason I like the Epernix is no egg withdrawl. Use the Epernix like Frontline for dogs. You really need to do this whole procedure over again in 7-10 days to kill all the nits that hatch out in that period of time. These parasites can cause anemia and death so you want to treat as soon as you can. I think Coconut oil would be okay for light infestation but full blown not sure. You may kill the lice on the birds using ACV but what about your coop?

As for cleaning the coop--
I am planning on moving my birds to a new coop immediately.. I am no expert but I prefer to go the natural way..
so I will be spraying the new coop regularly with orange guard..

But first, I will be giving the birds a dip using hydrogen peroxide/borax/water to kill off the bulk of the bugs...

and I will then apply the VCO... try to use DE where I can

Lastly I will set up a bird bath with DE/sand/dirt so they can clean themselves accordingly...

I do have ACV...should I mix that with VCO? I heard somewhere else that putting ACV in their water and..possibly garlic? is a good thing to help
ward off parasites?

PS: coop bedding: I heard that using straw will bring mites and parasites directly to your birds and that woodchips are much better to use?

Back
Top Bottom