Lice?

Chick1043

Songster
8 Years
Jun 5, 2011
Idaho
I am really scared my chickens are gonna get lice! No reason why....I just am! So how can I prevent them from getting lice? Thanks.

I use poultry Protector (it is a spray i use on the coop and bedding when i clean and you can use it on the chickens too to prevent it.
If they have it you can use Sevin dusting powder that is foun in your local garden section (but i only use this if they actually have it....cause it is a bit more harsh i think...but that is just my opinion)
wink.png

Don't treat them if they don't have them. Wait and then IF they do get them the dust will be more effective. It's really not that big a deal as long as they are treated once they do get them.
sharon

How likely is it that chickens get lice?
So do most use preventive treatment or wait? How would I know if they have it?

Having a place to dust bathe as was mentioned helps and some say use DE (food grade only). I have had chickens for 11 months and have only had a problem once. It comes from wild birds so who knows if you'll get them or not but just keep a check on them. Some people have never had them. You never know!

I would mix Diatomacious Earth (DE) Food Grade Only, in the sand where they normally dust bath. I do this every once in awhile. This way, when they normally give themselves dust baths, they'd bath in Lice preventative DE. Also sprinkle DE on the floor of your hen house, and in all the cracks around the edges to prevent other creepy crawling from getting to close to your hens. It also keeps mites away!

If they're kept away from other birds, I wouldn't worry about it. You'll notice them itching a lot if they did get lice.

I bought some pullets that were covered in lice, that I didn't notice tell I got home. YIKES. Lesson learned. I bought some Livestock Permethryn (Sp?) dust and it kill them all on contact. I hate using such powerful stuff though...

So do wild birds such as starling or sparrows bring lice? Because starlings and sparrows go in the chicken coop all the time for food and water...So would they bring lice because they are wild birds?

Back
Top Bottom