Lice?

I just use seven dust 5% in the garden section. More chickens have died from mites and lice than using seven. DE is about useless in my experience with it.

Last edited:
I put Sevin dust in the sand where they like to take their dust baths. I hate chemicals, but it bothered me more to see them wither away from the lice robbing them of their health. It's a personal choice.

Lice are super common and not too hard to get rid of. The lice begin by hanging out around the vent area. If one of your birds have lice, they all do. I waited until dusk when they went to roost. I took one bird at a time and dusted it's bottom with sevin dust in the shaker can. Each bird got a good dusting and the next day when the coops were empty, I sprinkled it in the bedding and in their favorite dust bathing spots. I've had no problems since.

So is that first post/picture a lice? I just looked at my chickens and I saw some of the same bugs on some of my gals. My rooster has a 4" red diameter spot around his vent. Skin is not hot, but very red and textured, like cauliflower. Help!

Last edited:
Thank you!

I have the Ivermectin pour on so I had a "fun" time chasing 24 chickens in the coop this morning putting some on them. The boys didn't like me messing with their gals, so I did them first and got them out of the coop fast. So I will do this again several times to hopefully break the cycle of these buggers.

Any idea what's wrong with my rooster, his red spot by his vent? None of the gals had anything when I checked each of them.

I found this very helpful.
http://sweeth2o.us/health.html
For scaly leg I use scarlet oi which is much cheaper then Red Kote. I just dip their legs in it.

You suggested Frontline for dogs? If so, are you using the one for small dogs or would it matter if you used the one for large dogs? I almost lost one bird last fall. So I would like to get a handle on this. The stuff we used last fall was very toxic to humans and I don't want to use it again however it did the job. I've use DE and it doesn't seem to work. Or maybe I'm just not getting it down in the feathers well enough. My coop/run is kept very clean. So I'm not sure why we are having this problem. Looking forward to your reply

Chickwhit

My chickens have lice too. I used diatamecious earth twice with them and the coop. NO change.
My chickens are organic. I think these applications will affect their eggs...

Back
Top Bottom