lid on cotournix brooder?

laughingull

Songster
9 Years
Dec 7, 2010
California
Do I need a lid right away or can it wait a few days? I think I read that they won't be able to launch themselves out for the first week or so? Is this a safe bet? If I get any to hatch I intend to turn my laundry bin (a plastic storage container) into the brooder. Will make appropriate roof now if necesary but would rather wait, see if they hatch and just clamp the heat lamp to the top and leave the top open for a coupla days till I can make something better.

Mine are 2 days old now and I have them in a card board box with no lid. They are still pretty wobbly and not jumping around at all yet. So you should be ok for a couple days at least.
smile.png

In 2 weeks they'll be able to flat out fly out of your brooder. You have the better part of the first week, but if the sides are'nt pretty high they can jump higher than you think. All this doubles if there anything but coturnix, especially when you want to clean the brooder or feed or change bedding. And be warned, they are stupid fast!!! Bill

Thanks everybody for your advice!!! I will get a lid on there in the first day or two! (will make one as soon as an egg turns into a chick if I should be so lucky)

Back
Top Bottom