Life is changing for us, and it is not for a positive reason

Status
Not open for further replies.
Little babies I can handle. Toddlers are another story. I have never been up to wrangling them. I learned early on that they were much smarter, much faster, and much more energetic than I would ever be. I take my hat off to mothers.

Little babies I can handle. Toddlers are another story. I have never been up to wrangling them. I learned early on that they were much smarter, much faster, and much more energetic than I would ever be. I take my hat off to mothers.
All three grandsons are now mobile. Being a grandparent is awesome because I can do all the fun stuff with them and let mom tell them NO!

It is very good if they have a mummy who will tell them no. The trouble is standards of parenting are a very fluid thing and we sometimes find ourselves at odds with our children as to what is/not allowed. Of course we do that very English thing of saying nothing at the time, or worse still saying, 'oh don't worry, it was only an old piece of china,' (as our cherished Dresden hits the deck.) When they've gone home we moan to each other, 'Well can you believe that! What behaviour!' Just call us Nanna and Granddad hypocrite!

Tonight Ken asked if there were any more fudgesicles. I said there is a whole box, went to get him one and then asked him "Do you want me to move them up a shelf?" (it's hard for him to bend down). He said "What the heck is a muppet shelf?"

lau.gif

I guess I'm one of the strange grandmas. I want my grandson to behave as well as my own kids did. So, I treat him the same as I did them. He knows the expected behavior and if he doesn't comply there are consequences. I worked way to hard for those nice things...
It is very good if they have a mummy who will tell them no. The trouble is standards of parenting are a very fluid thing and we sometimes find ourselves at odds with our children as to what is/not allowed. Of course we do that very English thing of saying nothing at the time, or worse still saying, 'oh don't worry, it was only an old piece of china,' (as our cherished Dresden hits the deck.) When they've gone home we moan to each other, 'Well can you believe that! What behaviour!' Just call us Nanna and Granddad hypocrite!

I guess I'm one of the strange grandmas. I want my grandson to behave as well as my own kids did. So, I treat him the same as I did them. He knows the expected behavior and if he doesn't comply there are consequences. I worked way to hard for those nice things...
Oh don't get me wrong, when we have them and the parents are out, they are treated like small people and they get punished just like any other child would. But when the parents are around, it remains their job to correct and punish. That is the beauty of being a grandparent. I love those little babies with all my heart and would never NOT correct them if it is important.

I was more thinking about the breaking of precious items. I wouldn't be one that would say...oh, honey that's okay :)

One day, my 8 year old...yes, I have an 8 year old and a 5 yr old grandson...he was 7 at the time was way beyond his tolerance of his young nephew. Speaking in his most adult voice, he admonished...."Chase, you listen to your uncle!"

We all got a big laugh but, I can't expect him to have a certain set of rules and the other have a different set. They are too close in age. Most don't have that problem. I'll never forget my daughter, 'don't you want to change his diaper?' Um...NO! I had just potty trained my own. The last thing I wanted to see was another dirty diaper!

I was more thinking about the breaking of precious items. I wouldn't be one that would say...oh, honey that's okay :)

One day, my 8 year old...yes, I have an 8 year old and a 5 yr old grandson...he was 7 at the time was way beyond his tolerance of his young nephew. Speaking in his most adult voice, he admonished...."Chase, you listen to your uncle!"

We all got a big laugh but, I can't expect him to have a certain set of rules and the other have a different set. They are too close in age. Most don't have that problem. I'll never forget my daughter, 'don't you want to change his diaper?' Um...NO! I had just potty trained my own. The last thing I wanted to see was another dirty diaper!
lau.gif

I love family stories!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom