life span and egg laying

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by ThePRfan, Jan 12, 2015.

1. ThePRfan

ThePRfan Songster

Sep 27, 2014
    I have saw questions about a chicken lifespan,people think they can live up to maybe only 3 years,yeah,no.

A chicken can live to ve 12 or 13 years,depending on its care and environment.
    They normally almost stop laying at 3 or 4.This also depends on breed.

Egg laying.
    They don't necessarily stop laying.They just don't choose to at elderly age,which is 4 and older.

2. There are many folks on this site that have hens that are 7 years old and still laying. Of course, they lay fewer eggs as they age.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I was absolutely unaware that egg laying is a 'choice'. On what do you base this opinion?

2 people like this.
  4. ThePRfan

ThePRfan Songster

Sep 27, 2014
    Well,they make the eggs,they lay em...

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I'm not certain what that means. Every hen is born with X amount of ova in her ovaries. Some lay almost constantly and eventually deplete their given supply (hybrid egg layers) others lay through out their lifetime and in the case of many extremely broody breeds die while still carrying hundreds of undeveloped ova in their ovaries. Development of ova/eggs is controlled by feed, environmental factors, hormonal factors, breed characteristics - but I never have been made aware that it is a choice.

edited to add 'hormonal factors' which for the most part are controlled by day length one of the environmental factors.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  6. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

That's great info. Thanks for posting.

7. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Crowing

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    I've heard this age,~6 years, is about the normal age a hen will lay to if all is well with her, egg breaks taken and the such.

8. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Crowing

Ditto what Sourland said. Hens do not "choose" to lay or not lay eggs any more then a human female chooses whether or not to ovulate! It's a function of the body and can be affected by many factors. As far as lifespan? Could be anything. I've known people with teenage hens. I've had birds stop laying and die of reproductive problems before their 2nd birthday, then there are others who are around 6 years old and older and still laying. It's just extremely variable due to so many, many factors so it's really impossible to predict or give an average lifespan of how long any particular bird may live or how long she will lay eggs.

9. alibabba

alibabba Songster

Mar 14, 2015
    Southeast PA
    My Coop
    I wonder. Do most hens get around the same number of ova?

In people, the majority get a good amount. Plenty to be fertile from puberty through menopause. Menopause varies, but some women are born with few eggs....

What I am getting to... If a breed not known for eggcellent production as in 4+ per week, or a breed that has considered poor production 1-2 per week lay the same number of eggs (generally) over their lifetime?

Would a hen from a poor production breed (generally) still be cranking out that 1-2 eggs per week at 7 years old and beyond.... When the excellent breed would have slowed down because they have used most of their ova in the first 2 years?

10. thegawd

thegawd Chirping

May 17, 2015
    delete

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by