Life Span in Cornish White Cross

We bought eight chicks of four different breeds for our two broody hens. We didn't realize we had Cornish Cross's either. They seem to be getting along great, but they are still very young. I am glad to hear about some living a long life! I hope to give them a good life!

We have friend that got some Cornish x for meat birds. A coon got to all but 1 little cockerel. They felt so bad for him (tubs) being all alone they put him in with the Pekings he is a huge guy now. I hadn't seen him in about 6 months but we went up to their place yesterday I had to take Tubs picture. He was in the shade of a green tarp so I had to adjust the color of the pic. He is now over a year old and thinks he is a duck he even swims with them.

We have friend that got some Cornish x for meat birds. A coon got to all but 1 little cockerel. They felt so bad for him (tubs) being all alone they put him in with the Pekings he is a huge guy now. I hadn't seen him in about 6 months but we went up to their place yesterday I had to take Tubs picture. He was in the shade of a green tarp so I had to adjust the color of the pic. He is now over a year old and thinks he is a duck he even swims with them.

I LOVE TUBS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He is handsome!!! And he is 1 year old!!!!!!!! Awwwwwwwwwww, this is great !!!!!!!!! :ya LOL @ swims. PLEASE get a pic of that and post. :gig

Thank you for sharing that pic. Tell your friend Tubs is handsome and they are doing a great job with him. I hope he is around for MANY more years. :thumbsup

I also have 2 cornish X. My husband was doing electrical work for a hatching plant, two got left behind, so he brought them home. On June 4th they will be 19 months old. One rooster..one hen. They each have their own coop/run. They are doing well...walk..jump..and roost. Their roost is only 6 inches from the ground, but they use it. He named them Crimson and Clover. We get 2 eggs a week from Clover :) I feed them once a day- feed, scratch and wheat bread. I give them veggies for treats. It's good to hear others have kept them as pets.

Question: Do the hens ever go broody?

I would like to hear more about the cornish/ cornish cross specifically about the breeding /egg laying possibilities. Can anyone add more advice or personal experience stories. This is very interesting given the breed. Thank you to all the friendly chicken folks!

Hi JillS,
If you're interested, I think the way to breed them isn't to work with cockerels but pullets. Put a nice leghorn roo over some pullets for the best chance at hatching good useful crosses.
I did this last year, and now am working with the offspring of those (back to leghorn again: they still get leg issues in the first cross).

Just keep the girls on a diet while growing, but as they approach lay, make sure they're getting enough protein or you won't see eggs. It can be hard to balance giving them high enough protein feed without making them pack on weight, but well worth doing.

They lay surprisingly well, but are very prone to EYP due to overweight... So diet as always is the key.

best wishes,
Erica

Thank you for the advice. It is greatly appreciated!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom