1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Life Span Of A Chicken????

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Hanh3197, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Hanh3197

Hanh3197 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Bay Area
    How long do they live? Does it depend on the breed also? [​IMG]

2. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    They only live until somebody eats them. Predator or people the chickens don't seem to have a very long life span.

3. acy0029

acy0029 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Tucson
    A chicken can live between 10-15 years although there have been instances where they have lived longer,But their egg production begins to slow at around three years.

4. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Byc did a poll on how old the oldest chickens people had were, don't know the results.

5. wowmanacat

wowmanacat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Oak Grove AR
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  6. Cold Canadian

Cold Canadian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Manitoba Canada
    I had some production RIR's and I had them for eight years , they gave eggs everyday with out the suppliment layer ration ? I ended giving them away when the Rooster died and the other owner had them for years as well , not sure what ever happened to them but I was impressed .

7. TedJan92_in_Idaho

TedJan92_in_Idaho Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    Cocolalla Idaho
    I had a game cock that lived for 17 years.

8. franklinstreetwest

franklinstreetwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Urban Jungle
    I had a bantam cochin hen that lived to be about 16, give or take a year. She didn't lay eggs after a certain point, but we never got rid of her. She served me well through the entire time I was in
    4-H. All the other birds we owned suffered the fate of the first responder to your post... they didn't live long because they got eaten by something first. I imagine life span would vary by breed. Just as it does in dogs and cats. But with clean secure living quarters and minimal to nothing for medical care, they seem to live quite a long time.

9. njduck

njduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2011
    my son has a BR, or should I say I have a BR. that my son won't let me get rid off. She is 8 or 9 and still lays eggs. Me and my dad can't believe that she is still alive or lays eggs. She free ranges and does her own thing. after age 4 she started going broody, before that she wouldn't sit on an egg for all the feed in the world

10. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Quote:I think hybrid layers start to tail off much faster than pure breeds do. Probably because they lay more to start with. But I also know of people with ex-bats who still lay fabulously, long after they were discarded by the battery farms they came from for being 'poor layers'. I have Leghorns that were a few yyears old when I got them, and two years on they are still laying every bit as well as they were to start with. The oldest I have heard of chickens living is 15 or 16 years...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by