Life With The Flock: Lacy Duckwing's Flock Thread

Today I got 6 eggs out of 7 hens, expected to lay, today. 1 Beth egg, 1 Shiloh egg, 1 Jewels egg, 1 Maisy egg, 1 Penny egg, and 1 egg that I'm assuming came from Aundria. She lays a large white egg that is a little pale. This mystery egg I've gotten before, I got again today. It's medium-sized, pale, bubbled, and feels slightly different.

Right from the beginning, Aundria has had something wrong with her. She was laying shell-less eggs, and sometimes just the membrane. She had something like egg-bound one day but was able to come out of it. She often lays soft-shelled eggs, which is why she is the primary reason why I have to give my flock Oyster Shells. She had soft-shelled eggs even from the beginning of her laying, which isn't normal.

The mystery egg is probably an egg that would have been laid shell-less if it wasn't for the Oyster Shells my flock is currently receiving. Again, I think it was from Aundria. As far as the hen that didn't lay, that was Princess the Buff Brahma. I think she's on strike again, but I don't know why this time.

Of unexpected to lay hens, there is only Rocky. She's currently in a hard molt, with no expectations of laying any time soon. Her feathers are coming in beautifully, though she did somehow break one yesterday. This morning, Jewels and her friend Beth, was trying to get in Rocky's cage this morning.

Saturday morning something happened with Nightfall..... (Sorry for the delayed information.)

I noticed a reddish pink string hanging out of Nightfall's rear end. I pulled on it, and this 1.5 long string came out of his vent. I didn't see any injuries, except for a little pastiness going on on the side, which is normal for him. I don't know what that string was, or what's it from, but I'm hoping it's nothing serious.

I do have concerns concerning Nightfall ever since he was a chick. Hopefully there's nothing that'll effect productablity, and that's including low hatch rate and cross beak.

No, I didn't bring any of them home... :hit:hit:hit

Welsummers and Barred Rocks:
20220303_134733.jpg
20220303_134746.jpg

Rhode Island Reds and Olive Eggers:
20220303_134737.jpg
20220303_134755.jpg

I went to Paris Farmers Union with some of my family today, and they had chicks already!! They had Welsummers, Barred Ricks, Olive Eggers, and Rhode Island Reds. The chicks was extremely adorable, but sadly, I wasn't allowed to bring any home.

I did, however, pick up the order sheet. This will tell me what birds are around, and what people are selling. This list, is actually how I know what my original six of my current flock is. They are, Blue Rock, Speckled Sussex, Buff Brahma, Silver-Laced Wyandotte, Golden Comet, and Cuckoo Maran. (As you can see looking at Maisy on the first page of this thread, the Cuckoo Marans aren't bred true.)

20220303_145822.jpg
20220303_145830.jpg

After I was at Paris Farmers Union, I went to my local feed store to get my flock their grain, shavings, and oyster shells. Today I bought a different grain for my hens. They were eating Egg Production+, and today I got just the layer pellets. The layer pellets don't cost as much as the Egg Production+ and don't have as much protein. I want the layer pellets because they're cheaper.

I used to feed my previous flocks the layer pellets, but this flock got the Egg Production+ due to them eating each other's feathers. I think the feather eating is under control now and I want to go back to the cheaper stuff.

View attachment 3012605View attachment 3012606
View attachment 3012608View attachment 3012609

I went to Paris Farmers Union with some of my family today, and they had chicks already!! They had Welsummers, Barred Ricks, Olive Eggers, and Rhode Island Reds. The chicks was extremely adorable, but sadly, I wasn't allowed to bring any home.

I did, however, pick up the order sheet. This will tell me what birds are around, and what people are selling. This list, is actually how I know what my original six of my current flock is. They are, Blue Rock, Speckled Sussex, Buff Brahma, Silver-Laced Wyandotte, Golden Comet, and Cuckoo Maran. (As you can see looking at Maisy on the first page of this thread, the Cuckoo Marans aren't bred true.)

View attachment 3012611View attachment 3012613

After I was at Paris Farmers Union, I went to my local feed store to get my flock their grain, shavings, and oyster shells. Today I bought a different grain for my hens. They were eating Egg Production+, and today I got just the layer pellets. The layer pellets don't cost as much as the Egg Production+ and don't have as much protein. I want the layer pellets because they're cheaper.

I used to feed my previous flocks the layer pellets, but this flock got the Egg Production+ due to them eating each other's feathers. I think the feather eating is under control now and I want to go back to the cheaper stuff.
So overcrowded! :eek:

Now I gotta go to TSC and stare longingly at the babies and take WAYYYY too many pictures ๐Ÿ˜‚

Thanks for the insparation

Do they still have these chicks?

Back
Top Bottom