Lifespan of hens

It is very normal for birds to get elderly at 3+ years. And really, if they are gone in the morning, well they have had a good life and a quick end. Personally, I like a multi generational flock. So when I lose some, I add some.

I have an older rooster too, and he is getting grumpy. Course he is also molting, I have a young boy growing up in the flock now, and come the spring, I may cull the older boy. It is the circle of life, adding and subtracting.

My granddaughter and I feel a bit sad, but not devastated when we loose them. Nothing new chicks can't help with.

People often times do have much older chickens, but I have never had them live like that. I am not doubting them, but don't feel guilty if yours don't live that long, a lot of chickens don't.

Mrs K
Thanks it's good to know we aren't doing anything wrong. I think our Cockerel is wanting some new young wives lol he's only a year or so himself and I think he's only just become top chicken but he still gets a lot of rejection when he does his special dance for them. What's your experience with Cockerel lifespan do they live longer than the girls as they aren't producing eggs?

I read somewhere that roosts should not be super high. It can be bad for them and once they get older it's not always possible to get up higher. When I eventually make my coop I'm not going higher then 4 ft or so and I will have ladders for them to get to that point. I read about lots of people with chickens that are 8-12 years old. My neighbors chicken is about 10 and she still lays every now and then. When the rooster got there she started laying more often. My friend at work has a neighbor with a 14 year old rooster.

Hybrid chooks don't tend to live long lives, I have ISA Browns that are 3 and actually I only have 2 left, 1 I found dead in the coop one morning when she was 2, the other I had to euthanise for being an internal layer, just a couple of weeks ago.

I did have Rhode Island Reds growing up and one of them Lived until she was about 12.

I think usually the term "hybrid" is used for a commercially bred chicken, usually aimed at either high egg or meat production.

While they are really what most would call "cross breeds" or "mutts" ...

While "hybrid vigor" is very real, the right/wrong combinations can either burn out a chickens productivity in a relatively short time, or ... extend their life, but lower their production.

The heritage breeds, can live for, and produce for a longer time, than most commercial "hybrids" ... but ... some tend to be too "inbred" (which causes it's own set of problems) which a "out cross" can bring back vitality, and production.

I think usually the term "hybrid" is used for a commercially bred chicken, usually aimed at either high egg or meat production.

While they are really what most would call "cross breeds" or "mutts" ...

While "hybrid vigor" is very real, the right/wrong combinations can either burn out a chickens productivity in a relatively short time, or ... extend their life, but lower their production.

The heritage breeds, can live for, and produce for a longer time, than most commercial "hybrids" ... but ... some tend to be too "inbred" (which causes it's own set of problems) which a "out cross" can bring back vitality, and production.
Good point. I’m talking about cross breeds if that helps make things clearer.

Back
Top Bottom