Light at night

Kalebsmomma

Chirping
Aug 27, 2020
Wisconsin
My sweet Golden Comets are a little over 5 1/2 weeks old. In the next day or two the girls will be moved to the big coop when we are finished with the final touches. They are getting way to big and active to be in the bin in our spare bathroom LOL. Here's the thing I keep the light on in the bathroom at all times (son is scared of the dark) and because of the chicks. By the time they get to the coop they'll be 6 weeks if not close. Do we need to have a light at night for them? Or for how long? Once we move our 2 one year old hens we don't light up coop cause they are already trained when to come in. Sorry for long post.

Do you want to add the chicks to a 2 year old flock? I wouldn’t do that without taking precautions. The adults could peck the chicks very badly.

I wouldn’t put the light off, they have in the night, abruptly. A baby light to make it not completely dark instead of normal light would be a nice in between imo. Start with that in the house (for you’re son too) and make one in the coop when you transfer the chicks.

Do you want to add the chicks to a 2 year old flock? I wouldn’t do that without taking precautions. The adults could peck the chicks very badly.
x2. I'd have no qualms about moving them out and not providing a light at night (they'll scream until they're tired and then they'll sleep) but I'm not sure what your integration plans are? A securely sectioned off portion of the coop would work well to start.

my post was really meant for the light. We aren't adding our 2 one year old hens for awhile yet. we aren't gonna just throw them together either. just want the chicks to be used to the dark before I mix in the older girls

I brooded chicks in the house for years with a heat lamp on 24/7. Then, I read something about not leaving that light on all night because suddenly moving to a place where there is darkness would frighten them.

So, I started turning off the heat lamp early in the evening and pulling all the curtains so it was mostly dark. Then, I turned the heat back on overnight. All my chicks -- raised both ways -- have been fine.

Can you somehow safely cover the bathroom brooder to block most or all of the light for at least a little while? Even if it's only for an hour or so, it would expose them to darkness AND put your mind at ease.

Back
Top Bottom