Light Barred Rock? Better pics.

I think they are all pullets. Wyandotte females can get pink combs pretty early but yours dont show any growth. I'm not sure breed on your black birds either...maybe ask the feed store which hatchery they ordered from and send the hatchery some pictures.

I'm going to go in and talk to them and see what they say, because honestly, we ordered 20 birds and only 8(!!) Are what they are supposed to be, and these little black stripped fluffy headed birds are really odd looking lol

I don't think any of them are cockerels. The SLW males normally show some breaks in the pattern by now and more comb development than that.

I thought the "barred Rocks" might be cuckoo Marans until I saw a crest on one. Now I'm wondering if they may be olive eggers. Hatchery sourced would make that a lot more likely. I'm still not 100% sure by your answer whether they were ordered from a hatchery.

Yes, hatchery ordered.

Any idea which hatchery?

No Idea, unfortunately. I didnt make it to talk to them today. I got better pictures of the poof heads, they have like a greenish foot? Oliver Eggers of some sort? I thought the Crest was just feathers coming in but it's on both. Any chance the one behind is a barred rock?

20190516_185647.jpg
20190516_185649.jpg 20190516_185657.jpg

Last edited:
They definitely do not look the cockrels in your picture. I haven't had chicks in 20 years. Could they a grow a comb that big in a week? Ours are 6 weeks old. I am so confused. When is the best time to figure out sex on them? Am I just trying to do this too early?
Yes they were cockerels, 7 weeks old, 1 week older than yours are now. Out of 6, 4 were cockerels 2 were pullets in that clutch. Compare the red comb and dropped wattles to the one in the background and you will see the difference. The one in the background isn't even Red, let alone having wattles showing. And btw if you click on the picture it will make it bigger so you can see it better:thumbsup

No Idea, unfortunately. I didnt make it to talk to them today. I got better pictures of the poof heads, they have like a greenish foot? Oliver Eggers of some sort? I thought the Crest was just feathers coming in but it's on both. Any chance the one behind is a barred rock?

View attachment 1778276
View attachment 1778272 View attachment 1778274
Well the slw look like pullets, as does the odd looking possible olive egger. And yeah the one in back does sort of look like a br pullet to me although the barring is a tad less distinct than I would expect for this age. Can you get good pictures of just that chick?

Back
Top Bottom