Light Brahma confused about gender? 9 weeks old

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by serenityNH, Jul 23, 2011.

1. serenityNH

serenityNH Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2011
    Raymond, NH
    Hello!

My Light Brahma's are going to be 9 weeks old in a couple of days and I am so confused about their gender. Our LB Tulip has feathered in super slow compared to her/his sister making me think Tulip was a roo? But now I am not so sure because he/she is not getting a red comb or wattles? They are hatchery stock so they are really dark for LB [​IMG] but still beautiful to me!
    So what do you think I have??

IRIS

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TULIP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks!!

2. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    I think they both look like pullets. [​IMG]

3. serenityNH

Mar 7, 2011
    Raymond, NH
    Quote:I would love that!

What about the super slow feathering on Tulip though? Isn't that a roo trait?

4. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    I've heard that said, but in my experience, some pullets will feather slow as well. My Iris (love the name coincidence) is an EE, and for the longest time I thought that she was a cockerel because she feathered at the same rate as the 4 cockerels that I did have. But she ended up being a pullet. My othe EE pullet, Penelope, feathered very fast - had her tail in at only a few days, while little Iris is sitting there withno tail feathers coming in! So sometimes it's true, sometimes it's not. In your case, I'd say it's not. I look at your birds' age, feathers, and combs, and they both look like pullets. [​IMG]

5. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    Your (beautiful) birds look nothing like my Light Brahmas, so I'm confused...

6. serenityNH

Mar 7, 2011
    Raymond, NH
    Quote:Yeah, I'm pretty confused too but what's new [​IMG]

......apparently the dark coloring is normal with LB from MPC- so I've heard?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2011
  7. serenityNH

Mar 7, 2011
    Raymond, NH
    anyone else want to weigh in??

8. spikennipper

spikennipper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Kent, UK.
    I'm thinking two pullets, Tulip is definitely a pullet!

9. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    Tulip is a definate pullet, no doubt in my mind. Iris has me a little worried only because of her comb size. It is a little hard to see from here. Could you maybe get a better picture of her comb? All chickens develop at their own rate so I wouldn't worry too much about Tulip feathering out slower. You have VERY pretty birds there. But they don't look much like the typical light brahma. But I can't get over how beautiful your birds are! [​IMG]

10. serenityNH

Mar 7, 2011
    Raymond, NH
    sunny & the 5 egg layers :

Tulip is a definate pullet, no doubt in my mind. Iris has me a little worried only because of her comb size. It is a little hard to see from here. Could you maybe get a better picture of her comb? All chickens develop at their own rate so I wouldn't worry too much about Tulip feathering out slower. You have VERY pretty birds there. But they don't look much like the typical light brahma. But I can't get over how beautiful your birds are! [​IMG]

It's so funny, I was really thinking Tulip was a 'he' and I was so sure Iris was a definite 'she', show's how much I know [​IMG] glad I asked!! We are planning to process our roo's so I have been keeping my emotions in check with Tulip because I really thought she/he was going to be dinner and I've been loving Iris up- ugh! I certainly hope now that they are both pullets, I don't think I could put Iris on the dinner table now [​IMG]

Here are some hopefully better pics of Iris's comb, thanks for the input, I really appreciate it [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by