Light Brahma confused about gender? 9 weeks old

serenityNH

Songster
8 Years
Mar 7, 2011
Raymond, NH
Hello!

My Light Brahma's are going to be 9 weeks old in a couple of days and I am so confused about their gender. Our LB Tulip has feathered in super slow compared to her/his sister making me think Tulip was a roo? But now I am not so sure because he/she is not getting a red comb or wattles? They are hatchery stock so they are really dark for LB
hmm.png
but still beautiful to me!
So what do you think I have??

IRIS

81900_iris_019.jpg

81900_iris_028.jpg

TULIP

81900_tulip_043.jpg

81900_tulip_059.jpg

81900_tulip051.jpg

Thanks!!

I've heard that said, but in my experience, some pullets will feather slow as well. My Iris (love the name coincidence) is an EE, and for the longest time I thought that she was a cockerel because she feathered at the same rate as the 4 cockerels that I did have. But she ended up being a pullet. My othe EE pullet, Penelope, feathered very fast - had her tail in at only a few days, while little Iris is sitting there withno tail feathers coming in! So sometimes it's true, sometimes it's not. In your case, I'd say it's not. I look at your birds' age, feathers, and combs, and they both look like pullets.
smile.png

Quote:
Yeah, I'm pretty confused too but what's new
gig.gif

......apparently the dark coloring is normal with LB from MPC- so I've heard?

Last edited:
Tulip is a definate pullet, no doubt in my mind. Iris has me a little worried only because of her comb size. It is a little hard to see from here. Could you maybe get a better picture of her comb? All chickens develop at their own rate so I wouldn't worry too much about Tulip feathering out slower. You have VERY pretty birds there. But they don't look much like the typical light brahma. But I can't get over how beautiful your birds are!
droolin.gif

sunny & the 5 egg layers :

Tulip is a definate pullet, no doubt in my mind. Iris has me a little worried only because of her comb size. It is a little hard to see from here. Could you maybe get a better picture of her comb? All chickens develop at their own rate so I wouldn't worry too much about Tulip feathering out slower. You have VERY pretty birds there. But they don't look much like the typical light brahma. But I can't get over how beautiful your birds are!
droolin.gif

It's so funny, I was really thinking Tulip was a 'he' and I was so sure Iris was a definite 'she', show's how much I know
hide.gif
glad I asked!! We are planning to process our roo's so I have been keeping my emotions in check with Tulip because I really thought she/he was going to be dinner and I've been loving Iris up- ugh! I certainly hope now that they are both pullets, I don't think I could put Iris on the dinner table now
hit.gif

Here are some hopefully better pics of Iris's comb, thanks for the input, I really appreciate it
jumpy.gif

81900_iriss_comb_067.jpg

81900_iriss_comb_069.jpg

81900_iriss_comb_075.jpg

Back
Top Bottom