Light Brahma Egg Size

finishsuper

Hatching
6 Years
Aug 13, 2013
This is our "2nd go round" on raising chickens. Learning the "hard way", we bought both sets at TS...... First time, we got 3 Leghorns, 2 Golden Comets and 1 Rhode Island Red. These were free ranged, and did very well laying eggs, with the Leghorns being far and beyond the best (both quality and quantity). Through attrition: hawk attack, possum attack, car attack, etc, we were down to 1 Leghorn and decided to get 6 more.

Of course, the TS guy couldn't tell us anything about our chicks, and we took what was available. Wife wanted Plymouth Rocks, but after much inspection and web searches, we found out that we had all Light Brahmas. No biggie. One of the hens liked to crow alot, and especially around 5am every morning, so we ate "her"...... ;-)

Just getting to the point now of having them lay eggs. So far, I think only 1 hen is laying, but, sheesh, the eggs are small....... I mean, golf ball small. Is this normal for such a big chicken? Or will size come as she gets older? It's going to take 15 of these things to make 1 omelet........

Here is a picture of the eggs laid by our sole surviving leghorn, and then the little eggs from the Light Brahma.

Thanks.

welcome-byc.gif
The eggs will increase in size, but may never be as big as your leghorn. In my opinion leghorns are the most attractive and best egg producing/pound of food consumed of all breeds. I am seriously prejudiced in their favor. Your Light Brahmas should have good longevity as far as egg production goes. Perhaps not as many eggs per year but they can produce for a long period of time.

Whew, thanks. We were supplying quite a few neighbors with eggs, before our "flock reduction" occurred, and they have been patiently waiting for new eggs. I would be embarrassed to have to give them these. (Maybe a 2 for 1 deal?)

Next time, I will buy from a chicken place and get exactly what I want. The Leghorns weren't the most attractive of what we had, but man, can they lay eggs, and big ones too! The one that is left is a trooper and she continues to lay around 5 beauties/week.

Thanks again.

The Light Brahmas will probably lay about 175 eggs a year, but they will probably be steady layers all year.

White Leghorns lay about 300 eggs a year.

I suggest you try getting some Brown Leghorn hens. They are a light brown color, so they can hide better from predators. They can also fly into trees to get away from predators. And they lay eggs almost as well as the White Leghorn.

I suggest you try getting some Brown Leghorn hens. They are a light brown color, so they can hide better from predators. They can also fly into trees to get away from predators. And they lay eggs almost as well as the White Leghorn.
I would add that they are in my opinion absolutely beautiful. At one time I showed Light Brown Leghorn bantams. And am on the brink of getting some large birds.

One good thing about the Light Brahmas -- they are more broody than average. So maybe you will have a Light Brahma hen go broody and you can stick some eggs under her to hatch out.

My one 1 year old Brahma is a very good layer. She we very slow to start (6 months but it was the dead of winter) but has since laid 5-6 a week and they are XL sized. To me it looks like you have different colored brown eggs that would indicate multiple hens laying.

I'll second the light brown leghorns for the camo factor.

Back
Top Bottom