Light Brahma girl actually a boy?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Jingles1234, Aug 11, 2016.

1. Jingles1234

Jingles1234 Just Hatched

Aug 11, 2016
    I'm new to the chicken world so I ordered my chicks through the local feed store. I ordered all females. 1 light brahma and two amerucanas. My light brahma looks like a rooster to me and acts like one to me too. Can you guys tell by this photo. He/she is 13 weeks old. [​IMG]

2. MamaJay

MamaJay New Egg

Dec 22, 2015
    Salida, CA
    This looks like my 13-wk-old cockerel. I thought I got 3 Light Brahma pullets. Nope! "Edna" is now named "Edgar"' The two pullets (same age) have almost no wattle, the the comb is pink, not red. The cockerel has a distinct red comb (3 ridges) and red wattles developing nicely! He also acts like a roo. Bullying and herding the ladies around like a boss!

3. Farmgirl0422

Farmgirl0422 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2015
    Central Oregon
    I'm guessing it's a rooster. He/she is very pretty though!

1 person likes this.
  4. MamaJay

MamaJay New Egg

Dec 22, 2015
    Salida, CA
    [​IMG]

This was taken at 11 weeks. You can see the color difference in the combs. He's also taller, and the tail is definitely a roo tail.

5. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Cockerel. Technically, he's not a rooster until he's a year old.

1 person likes this.
  6. Jingles1234

Jingles1234 Just Hatched

Aug 11, 2016
    Ugh. That's what I thought. Now I have a multiple rooster issue. I've got younger chicks and one is a boy for sure and I think I have a third as well.... this one is top chicken, let's me pet him and pick him up. I have a 3 year old and 2 year old (human children) so I'm not really sure about having a ton of male chickens around. Thoughts on that or is that a different thread?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by