Light Brahma Hen Killed Today by what?

JustJ

Hatching
10 Years
Jun 15, 2009
Northern Calfornia
My 2 year old 9 pound light brahma was killed today. I left for work in the daylight and came home to find a pile of feathers next to a pile of either dog or coyote scat. I only have 2 hens and the other was ok inside her coop where she normally sleeps at night. They free range during the day and I have never had predator problems. I figured my big girl was too big for anything to get. I am devestated. My girls are part of my family. I need to figure out whether I have a dog problem or a coyote problem. The attack had to have occurred in daylight hours or possibly at dusk. I arrived home just as it was getting dark. There was nothing left but a huge number of feathers. Any suggestions on which it is? I will be keeping my other girl in until I figure out how to protect her. Any thoughts on how she will do alone without companionship for a while are also appreciated!
Mourning in California...

I don't know what it could be. I'm so sorry about your girl.
hugs.gif

I need to figure out whether I have a dog problem or a coyote problem

I don't understand why it matters which it was.
The solutions would be the same either way​

Last edited:
It matters in that I live in a rather remote area and would like to track down if someone is letting their dogs run loose. Sounds like I may not be able to figure it out. Thanks post #1 for the sympathy.

Dog or more likely coyote- it really does not matter. Just know that it will return and you must fortify your run or sadly enough the rest of your flock will be decimated. Just a reality of dealing with predators. Good luck in protecting your birds.

Set up a game camera it will tell you what your dealing with when they are coming and you then have proof if it is dogs. So sorry for your loss its never easy but don't give up.

Back
Top Bottom